Chapter 17

Rin's POV

    Have you ever met someone, and the moment you first spoke to them you just felt this click? Like some switch inside you was suddenly flipped? Well, that person for me was Kai. I know, maybe I sound a bit crazy but just hear me out. Around him it was like... well... it was like I was seeing the world in colour for the first time. It was as if everything before him was gray and then suddenly he just appeared in my life, this little ray of light, and suddenly the grays became yellows and purples and just this whole mess of colours.

  The afternoon after he saved me from Rey we went out for lunch. Not a date or anything, obviously, but it was still a memory I'll hold dear to me forever. Usually during lunch I'll find a quiet place to sit alone and eat my lunch because, let's be honest, who'd want to eat with me? Yeah, Bon and the others have been trying to make an effort to be kinder to me, but that doesn't mean we're going to suddenly be best buds and start eating lunch together.

But that day I wasn't alone, I had Kai. We sat under a tree in the courtyard talking about anything that popped into our minds...

"Look Okumura, you seem nice and all but I really don't think this friendship is gonna work out..."

"Yeah," I snorted in agreement. "Definitely not if you have stupid opinions like that!"

Kai tossed a glare in my direction, "My stupid opinion?! You're the one who thinks Batman is better than Superman! Like, I think the hell not! Batman is just some rich playboy who has a hero complex!"

"Bitch no." I was horrified! To think, someone who seemed so nice could have such a terrible opinion on DC heroes... "Batman is obviously superior to Superman! Superman can literally be killed by a rock! If I threw a rock at him, he'd die!"

"It's not just some random rock! It's kryptonite!!!" Kai screeched, flailing his arms around.

"It's a FREAKIN PEBBLE!"

Kai let out a long agonised breath. "Fine... you know what? Fine. How about we just agree that Spider-Man is the best?"

"...." I stared at him quietly.

"What?"

"Spider-Man isn't DC!!!!"

Kai rolled his eyes, "Yeah, but he's still better."

I couldn't disagree with that. "Okay fine, I can agree with you there, as long as we're talking about the Tom Holland version. Cause like... Tom Holland!"

"Okay good, we can agree on something." He crossed his arms and nodded approvingly.

I smirked, trying desperately not to laugh. It didn't work.

Kai smiled when he saw me start laughing. "What? Is there something on my face? Wait I know what it is. It's my face in general isn't it... yep that's what it is. Well darn, guess you're gonna have to get used to it cause you'll be seeing it quite often from now on."

I could feel myself smiling idiotically, "I guess I can learn to deal with you and your weird face."

And that's how it started. Random conversations like that over lunch escalated into texts after school, which became secretly texting memes to each other in class, which then turned into late night calls. I'd never truly known what I was missing out on while not having friends, but now that I had one, I was terrified I'd loose him. I made sure my sleeves were always long enough to cover all my scars around him and I tried my best to keep up my smile no matter how bad the day was. If I wanted to keep up this friendship, I'd have to make sure he never found out about my dad nor all my issues.