Chapter 16

Rin's POV

I spent the night curled up in the corner of my music room, wrapped up in a pile of extra blankets that I keep in the closet near the door. Waking up and having to start the day was surprisingly un-miserable once I realised I had Art first period. I sprung up from my bed and turned to the clock on the wall, realising I only had about 10 minutes to get ready. 'Crap,' I rushed to the closet and pulled out an extra uniform that I keep next to the blankets. (What? I like to be prepared okay!) "bloody fuck" I cursed to myself as I rushed out the door. Of course I'd forget to set an alarm last night... figures. Luckily, I had Art and that was really all that mattered, cause I freaking love art! As I rushed into the hallway I checked both ways to make sure I wouldn't end up running into Bon. 'Good, no one there.' I sprinted down the stairs and out the door. I checked my watch, 'okay, I have 5 minutes till class starts and I can probably make it to the art building in 3 if I sprint.' I picked up my pace and my calculations turned out to be pretty close, I got there in three and a half minutes. I stopped right outside the door to catch my breath for a moment. Don't want to be that awkward kid gasping for breath in the back of the room.

After a couple seconds I pulled my self together and walked in. Unsurprisingly a little less than half the room was empty. This was pretty normal for us since we had the smallest class. Mrs. Hiashi, the Art teacher, nodded to me as I passed. I returned it with a small smile before shuffling to my seat in the back of the class.

  "Okay, looks like everyone is here, time to begin," Mrs. Hiashi announced. "Your warm-up is on the board, please follow the directions while I pass back your graded projects."

  I looked toward the front of the room where the Smart-Board was and squinted so I could read the directions. 'Today's Warm-Up: Create a drawing based off a line from one of your favourite songs.'

  I raised an eyebrow, one of my favourite songs? I have a lot of those. After a few minutes of going back and forth between song lyrics I finally chose a line from Gasoline by Halsey. My drawing was going to be based off the lines, 'You're part of a machine, you are not a human being. With your face all made up, living on a screen.'

  Since our class is an hour and fifteen minutes long, Mrs. Hiashi gave us 30 minutes to get our sketch done. Luckily it didn't require colour or there'd be no way I could've gotten it done. I got so focused on making sure my sketch was perfect, that I almost didn't hear her tell us it was time to put our pencils down. Some cursing could be heard around the room from the kids who didn't finish.

As I dropped my pencil I stared down, surprisingly proud, at what I'd draw. It was a woman's face, but half of it was drawn without makeup and with tired eyes and natural hair. Meanwhile, the other half was done up with makeup, her hair wavy with small curls at the end, no hair out of place and a small chunk of her cheek was missing where you could see wires and metal inside.

  As Mrs. Hiashi came around to see what we'd draw she'd make comments here and there saying how it's "absolutely lovely" or was "fantastic but could use some more shading". When she got to mine, she stopped and stared for a few seconds which made me start to worry that maybe it wasn't as good as I'd thought it was, but then she smiled widely and clasped her hand together. "That's amazing! That's easily the best one here!" I blushed and quickly looked down at my lap. "Thanks so much, Mrs. Hiashi," I said quietly. She smiled and started to walk away before turning back around with a small "oh". "By the way Rin, I forgot to tell you. The reason you didn't get your art project back just now is cause I loved it, I really think it's gorgeous, so I wanted to put it in the upcoming art show, what do you think?"

  I stared at her wide-eyed. She thought my art was good enough to go in the art show? "Tha-that'd be amazing!" I stuttered out, unsure quite what to say. "Thank you so much!"