O-Oblivion

We get out of the limo and I hang on tight to Carson. I hated these events because of the paparazzi. 

"Carson, how do you like your new wife?" one of the reporters ask.

"I love her, that's why I married her," he replies. I squeeze his hand as we continued the long walk through the reporters into the event. A lady came over and took my jacket from me. I take my phone and slip it into Carson's pocket. Now I just had to remember it. Feeling very cold I step closer to Carson who slipped his arm around my waist.

"Cold?" he asks pulling me in closer rubbing his hand up and down my arm. I nod my head enjoying the portable heater/human. I listen patiently to Carson as he talks to some investors and clients. Most of them congratulating him. Someone stepped onto the small stage and started talking to everyone. We all head to our tables and I sit close to Carson not really liking how close one of the investors was to me. My dad had never liked him, but he was important for the company.

After a bunch of people went up and talked. Mr. Maximum, his grandfather and his dad, and my dad had went up to talk.

"I really wanted to pass my business to one of my children, but my daughter strayed far away from that occupation. She ended up and married a businessman anyways. Kind of funny how the world works doesn't it Quinn?" he says teasing me. I feel Carson chuckle and put his hand on my shoulder and squeeze.

"But I kind of am. My fathers life and my own worked very hard on this company to get it where it is now. My father was friends with William Maximum since they were very young. It only made sense that we merged companies. To honor William Maximum and Henry Howell's friendship," my dad says. I smile and clap my hands thinking about my grandfather. Wishing he was here.

"Now the man running the company himself, the new CEO of Maximum and Howell Industries, Carson Maximum," the guy says. I didn't really listen to him when he talked. Carson stands up and leans down to kiss my cheek.

"Good luck," I whisper. He gives me a small secret twitch on his lips telling me he wanted to smile but had to be serious.

"Good evening everyone. It is a pleasure to be up here tonight," Carson starts off. I patiently listen to him say his speech. He ends his speech nicely.

"I wouldn't be here without the support of my family, the Howell's, and my very loving wife," he says. I couldn't help but smile. I wanted to leap up there and hug him. Then give him a nice kiss.

Everyone stood up and clapped. Carson came back and sat down beside me. I cup his cheek and kiss the other one.

"Thank you, love," he says his face showing no expression. My heart pounded out of my chest. He called me love.

"Now please enjoy your meal!" the guy says into the microphone. Food was set in front of us and I start to eat. It was some nice chicken, rice, a mix of vegetables.

There was a lot of talk at the table. Then all the sudden someone was yelling. Carson tenses up beside me and I lean closer to him looking around to see whats going on.

"Their marriage is a sham! I was in the war with William and Henry. These two had to marry by contract!" an older man yells. Mr. William Maximum, Mr. Maximum, my dad, and Carson stood up. I didn't know what to do.

"And who are you?" Carson's grandfather yells. Carson looks down at me. He had a killer poker face that was way better than mine. His eyes showed me that he was worried. My heart pounded loudly in my ears. I felt sick to my stomach. This was it. We were going to loose everything. We were busted.

"Is this true?" one of the investors that was sitting at our table asked. He carries on, "I will not invest into something that would subject such a nice woman into a forced marriage to such a robotic man like Carson Maximum." I watch in horror as more people stand up and yell something.

"Carson help me on this chair," I say standing up. I couldn't take it anymore. They were not going to ruin something my grandfather worked so hard to make better. My family business. They had no clue who Carson was to me. They had no clue to how much I l-.

Oh.

"Don't get on the chair! You have heels on for goodness sake! You'll break an ankle!" He says as I hold onto his shoulders for balance and stand on the chair.

"Stop!" I yell. Nobody moved except Carson who stood beside me ready to catch me if I fall.

"Shut up!" he yells angrily. Everyone stops and looks at him. 

"If such a horrible contract was real and really that old, how come we didn't find a loophole by now? Who are you to question my marriage? Just because Carson doesn't show me affection here tonight doesn't mean he doesn't love me. He's at work at this very moment. His family, my family, and the both of us are here working. Impressing you all. All that should matter to you all is that he's a good businessman! He's a great one! Taught by brilliant masters of business themselves and I know I have to say this because they are my family. But it is real you can't just succeed because of luck in this world. We worked hard. We work hard. I may just be a teacher, but just like you all I lead the future. Carson is very good at being a professional in front of clients and investors. At home he's my best friend who makes me laugh and smile all the time, which I wasn't supposed to tell, but too late. In front of our bosses, because we all have had one, we show our professional side. I know for sure when I'm talking to my bosses I'm not treating them like the teenagers I teach all day. So the contract that you are talking about? It isn't real. I love my husband very much and it does sting a little when you all react like the teenagers I have to deal with all the time. To a freaking rumor!" I say getting angry. I was done. I had enough.

"Shame on you to insult my marriage like that. My family like that. They aren't stupid like that, otherwise you wouldn't do business with them," I say giving everyone a cold look. Carson helps me off the chair and we start walking towards the door. The room was silent. Our parents followed suit and so did Carson's grandfather. While we all put our jackets on Carson's grandfather and addressed the crowd.

"Please, don't let us disturb you. Enjoy the dessert," he says. We all rush into the limo. The entire ride none of us talked too angry at what just happened. Too worried about what just happened. In shock. We had forgotten my jacket at the venue rushing to leave. So Carson had given me his as I lean heavily into him. The ride making me feel exhausted. We end up at Carson's grandfathers home and walked in. Carson and I were the last ones in the limo.

"Your speech was beautiful," he tells me making me walk slowly beside him as we head up to the front door where everyone had already disappeared behind of. He throws his arm around my shoulders careful of my hair.

"Thank you. I liked yours better," I tell him softly. I look at him trying to show how much I love him through my eyes.

"Do you know how much I love you?" he says. My heart pounds. This all was too fast. We shouldn't be doing this. We have been married for three months now. And it was by a contract. I barely knew him before then, and I still don't know much.

"Show me," I say sounding breathless. His face hardens and all the sudden we rush into his grandfather's house.

"Rip it up," Carson says to our family. They all look at us surprised. Everyone looks at me waiting for me to say something.

All it took was one look at Carson, "Rip it." They all look us questioning it.

"Dear you don't have to do this to try to save us. We will admit the contract," Carson's dad says. His name was always difficult for me to say and remember. I've known him for many years, but always called him Mr. Maximum.

Carson grabs my hand and takes off the rings on my left hand, "What are you doing?"

"Trust me you are going to want to rip that up. Here catch," Carson says throwing one of my rings in the air.

He let's go of my hand and all I felt was very confused. I told him to show me how much he loves me and what he does is take our wedding ring off my fingers.

It's showing me the opposite of love. Slowly letting my heart break. And I wasn't sure that I could patch this up.