X- Xenolith

It was a hard week. Carson and I had been spending a lot of time with both of our mothers trying to get this fundraiser together.

I had went to the school board and they only laughed. They put the price on it.

A million. My stomach fell to the ground.

"Good luck Miss. Howell," one of the board members say with a snort that only meant laughter.

"It's Mrs. Maximum," I say before I left. I say the mans face drain of blood and I politely smile then walk out the door.

The fundraiser was tomorrow, Friday.

"Can we get all art students to Mrs. Maximums class right after school. She has some few words to tell you all that are very important. It will be quick, she promises that," Mackey says. The final bell rings and I wait patiently in my room. Some kids immediately walk in.

"What's wrong Mrs. Maximum?" Sebastian asks watching me pace around the room.

"I'll tell you in a second," I reply.

"Have you told them yet?" Carson says walking into the room. I shake my head and he walks into the class room making me sit down and then sits beside me on the desk.

"Anybody we are missing?" I ask looking around.

"Eliza, but shes taking the bus," Sebastian.

"Text her. We will take anybody home who didn't make the bus," I say. Carson nods agreeing. A few more students rush in and Eliza joins us.

"Close the door please," I say. I watch as they do what I tell them.

"You all have grown this semester. I'm so proud, but I have a quick question. Did you guys enjoy art?" I ask. They all nod and look at me as if I was stupid. I look at Carson who looked very pleased with their reactions.

"The school board and many powerful parents had voted that the art program will be replaced this upcoming semester. Art and me will no longer be at this school. It is going to be replaced. Apparently it wasn't beneficial enough," I tell them.

"What?" Sebastian says.

"They can't do that! I'm just a freshman! I have four more years!" one of the freshman says.

"How did this happen?" Eliza asks.

"It was voted. Even though you guys gave amazing reviews, filled the classes, and enjoyed the classes it wasn't technically enough. And apparently your view doesn't count. My view nor do other teachers count," I say shaking my head.

"The art program gets great funding at this school because of you guys wanting the class and doing very well in the class as well," Carson tells the kids gently. Some of them were crying.

"No, no! Don't cry!" I say rushing forward hugging some of them.

"Remember we are the Maximums," Carson tells the kids. Some of the kids immediately look at each other and start smirking.

"We made a plan. So sit down guys. I know I promised I said it would be quick, but I didn't know how you guys would react," I say. I walk over to my rolling white board and flip it over.

"So I know you all are very curious about us, Maximums," Carson says. Everyone freezes starting to feel scared. I smack Carson's arm.

"I refuse to give up. I love teaching you guys here. You all deserve the opportunity to enjoy art," I say.

"Why does it say one million on the board?" someone asks.

"That's how much we need to raise isn't it?" Sebastian says his face serious.