Chapters 41-45

The Naughty Murkrow, the Dunsparce

Swarm and Brock's sick day

Today the gang were taking a nice break near a stream. They were now heading for a city called Olivine City, where Ash could get his next badge. Brock was setting up lunch, Misty was helping him, Tomo was playing with Pikachu, Growlithe and Togepi and Ash was polishing his gym badges. Ash was becoming excited about his badges; he already had four and just needed another four to get into the Johto league. "You certainly look happy when you're polishing your badges Ash" said Misty, who had been watching him. "Of course I am Misty," said Ash "after all I only do need four more badges to get into the league". Misty couldn't argue with Ash there.

Just then Tomo saw something sticking out from a bush. It was some black feathers. "Hey, what's that?" Tomo asked Ash. Before Tomo's question could be answered, a black bird pokemon popped out from the bush. "That's a Murkrow" said Brock.

Ash took out his pokedex: Murkrow, the darkness pokemon. It appears near travellers to lure them into deep forests. It is said to carry misfortune.

Ash gathered up his four badges. "What are you doing Ash?" asked Misty. "I've heard of Murkrow, they love shiny things and they steal them from people," Ash explained "so I suggest you guys hide your shiny things, otherwise they'll get nicked by that Murkrow".

After hearing Ash's explanation, Misty and Brock started to gather up all the shiny things so that they wouldn't get stolen. Except, one shiny was still lying about on the ground; it was one of Brock's little spoons. The Murkrow saw it, picked it up in its beak and flew off with it. "Hey give that back!" shouted Brock, and he ran after it. Ash, Misty and Tomo packed up all the rest of the stuff, before any more of them got lost. "Brock sure is upset over a loss of a spoon" said Misty. "Well don't forget Misty, Brock hates it when someone or something takes his things," said Ash "besides you don't like it either when your stuff is taken". "You're actually Ash, I don't" said Misty.

After picking up all the stuff, Ash, Tomo and Misty caught up with Brock. Brock was now by a cliff and the Murkrow was standing at the top of it, with a big nest beside it. The gang noticed a lot of sparkles coming from the top of the cliff. "That Murkrow must have taken things from other people as well" said Misty. "Well I did say that Murkrow were the thieving type of flying pokemon" said Ash. Brock took out a pokeball from his pocket. "I'm getting my spoon back" he said, and sent out Golbat to retrieve the spoon from Murkrow.

Once Golbat flew to where Murkrow's nest was, Murkrow saw Golbat and started to pick a fight with him. "Use air cutter Golbat" said Brock. Golbat opened his mouth and then light blue S shaped energy disks flew out and headed towards Murkrow. Murkrow flew up to dodge the attack and then flapped its wings, and a cold wind blew out of them. "That Murkrow knows icy wind" said Ash. The icy wind hit Golbat; being an ice type move, Golbat couldn't stand the attack. Then Murkrow's beak turned white and began to spin. "Oh no," said Ash "that Murkrow knows drill peck". Murkrow charged into Golbat, Golbat got really hurt and then Golbat fell to ground over the cliff. "Golbat return" said Brock, returning Golbat to his pokeball. "What should we do now?" asked Misty "that Murkrow seems pretty tricky and with that icy wind move, it will be tough to defeat with a flying pokemon". "Which is why we fight it with non-flying type pokemon" said Ash. He released Sentret from her pokeball. Ash explained to Sentret about the thieving Murkrow and that he need her to fight it. Sentret climbed up the cliff towards Murkrow's nest. "Will Sentret be okay?" asked Misty. "No need to worry Misty," said Ash "I've had Sentret deal with flying types before".

When Murkrow saw Sentret, as soon as she reached the top of the cliff, it picked a fight with her at once. "Use double team Sentret" said Ash. Sentret multiplied herself to confuse Murkrow. Murkrow started to peck at the copies. "Use swift Sentret" said Ash. Sentret fired stars, from her tail, which hit Murkrow at once. Ash then sent out Chikorita and told her to hold her vines onto the top of the cliff. "Sentret may be in trouble," he said "so I'm going to help her". He started to climb up Chikorita's vines. "Be careful of that Murkrow Ash" said Brock.