Chapter 96-100

Chapter 96

Chrysanthemum Contest,

The Battle Palace and

Ash has a thought

After leaving Camomile Island the gang had made it to Chrysanthemum Island thanks to the ferry. Ash had just finished a phone call with Prof Oak; he wanted to know how his Tropius was doing. Ash explained to the others that Tropius was recovering nicely, but the cut he had on the neck has left a scar. "It's that Clayton's fault that Tropius has become scarred for life" said Max. "Who's become scarred for life?" asked a voice.

The voice belonged to Drew. "Drew" said May, in surprise. Ash explained to Drew all about the pokemon hunter Clayton and about his Tropius and the injuries. "The things people do these days," said Drew "it's a good thing you found it before it could get worse Ash". "So Drew, are you here to win your next ribbon?" asked Ash. "No I'm here to watch," said Drew "and anyway I only need one more ribbon to get". He turned to May. "You still have a lot of catching up to do May". May blushed furiously; she didn't like being reminded that she still hasn't earned five ribbons yet.

Suddenly a brown-red haired girl, with blue eyes, walked up to the gang. "Are you May?" the girl asked May. "Yes I am, but who are you?" answered May. "I'm Brianna and I'm looking forward to entering the pokemon contest with you" said Brianna. May was surprised to hear that. Brianna turned to Drew and told him that she thinks he's a great coordinator. Drew simply thanked Brianna and walked off. As soon as Drew walked off, Brianna asked May how she felt about Drew. The truth is Brianna admired Drew, and she was a bit jealous of May because she knew that May was Drew's main rival and that Drew always noticed her. "In today's contest, I will make Drew notice me as a coordinator" said Brianna. May was surprised with Brianna's attitude and this made her understand that she had another rival to deal with today.

Soon it was time for the Chrysanthemum contest. Lilian did the usual introductions and showed off the Chrysanthemum ribbon, which was aqua green with a white outline and was the same shape as the Hoenn ribbons. The preliminary round soon started and May was up. This time she was using Munchlax for the appeal round and they started off with solar beam. As it was a very bright sunny day, Munchlax didn't need to charge up to do solar beam. May then ordered Munchlax to do roll out, and Munchlax was rolling across the stage fast. To finish it off Munchlax jumped into the air and performed a focus punch on the ground. Drew admitted that May's Munchlax wasn't bad. Next up was Brianna and she was using a Surskit. Surskit used ice beam on the stage to create an ice rink, and then Surskit danced on the ice like a figure skater.

After the preliminary round was finished the results were eight coordinators passed the round and May and Brianna were two of them. Right now they had to wait for the battle round to begin. "This is the perfect chance for me to show Drew how much I've trained ever since our encounter in Neon Town" said May. "Hey May, is that how you really feel about Drew?" asked Brianna "I mean do you have any feelings towards him?" May blushed at those questions. "I see him as a rival that's all" she said. "So you aren't in love with him?" asked Brianna "then I will take this chance to tell him that I love him when the contest is over". May looked at Brianna is disbelieve.

In the battle round May and Brianna defeated their opponents one by one. May was using Combusken and Brianna was using a Vibrava. Finally it was the finals and May and Brianna were facing each other. "May better watch herself against Brianna's Vibrava because Combusken has a disadvantage of it" said Ash. Ash would know that because of his Flygon. The battle was now starting and May ordered her Combusken to use quick attack. "Use supersonic Vibrava" said Brianna. The noise from the supersonic stopped Combusken in its tracks, but luckily it didn't confuse Combusken. "Fire spin Combusken" said May. Combusken fired fire spin at Vibrava and Vibrava got hit by it. Thanks to the bright sun, Combusken's fire attacks were powered up. Brianna fought back by telling her Vibrava to use dragon breath, and then sand tomb. After using dragon breath Vibrava trapped Combusken with sand tomb. Poor Combusken couldn't move at all. "Come on Combusken," said May "you can get out of there I know you can". Suddenly Combusken's three feathers and the sand glowed light blue and Combusken got out of the sand. "That was mega kick," said Ash "I recognize that move anywhere". So Combusken had learnt mega kick. Although by now May was losing points fast and time was running out. Brianna told her Vibrava to use sand tomb again, but before the sand could trap Combusken again May ordered Combusken to use mega kick. Combusken kicked through the sand tomb and kicked Vibrava hard. Vibrava was defeated by that move and Combusken was the winner of the pokemon contest.