Chapters 61-65

Chapter 61

May's family and The Return of Brock

Ash, Tomo and May had just arrived at Petalburg City. "What are we going to do here Ash?" asked Tomo. "Well there is a gym here," said Ash "but it says in the guide book that the gym leader here is very strong, and my pokemon are not ready for this yet". "But what about Pikachu and Latias?" asked May. Ash had explained to May about his Latias and Latios. "It's true that Pikachu and Latias are strong," said Ash "but it wouldn't be fair to my other pokemon to not train them to be strong enough to battle the gym leader here". "I see" said May. She could see that Ash was a kind and understanding trainer.

May brought Ash and Tomo to the Petalburg Gym. The Petalburg Gym was built as a Japanese house. "Why did you bring us here May?" asked Ash. "I know the gym leader here very well," said May "so I will introduce you to him myself". Ash and Tomo saw nothing wrong with that and agreed to May's offer. Inside the gym it was built as a Japanese house. "I take it the gym is both a house and a gym because the leader lives here right?" asked Ash. "That's right," said May "and so does his family. Wait here and I'll get the gym leader". And she left. "May is hiding something from us" said Ash. "What's she hiding?" asked Tomo.

Before Ash could answer Tomo, a brown and cream coloured racoon like pokemon appeared. "Hey what's that pokemon?" asked Tomo.

He looked at his pokedex: Zigzagoon, the tiny racoon pokemon. It gets interested in everything, which is why it zigs and zags. It is good at finding items.

"That's a cool pokemon" said Ash. Then a brown and cream coloured weasel like pokemon showed up. "What's that pokemon?" said Ash.

He looked at his pokedex: Linoone, the rushing pokemon. The evolved form of Zigzagoon. When running in a straight line, it can easily top 60 miles an hour. It has a tough time with curved roads.

"That's cool," said Ash "I wonder who they belong too". "They belong to me" said a voice.

The voice belonged to a boy about seven years old, with blue-green hair and he was wearing glasses. "I know you," said the boy "you're Ash Ketchum. I saw you on TV when you challenged the Silver Conference. Your Lugia was awesome against Blaziken. It's a pity that you lost against that Jon Dickson, but never mind". "Thanks kid, but you are you?" said Ash. "My name is Max," said the boy "and I'm the gym leader of this gym". Ash stared at Max; he was reading Max's mind. "You're lying," he said "I have ways of knowing that someone is lying and you are lying to us because it says that a man named Norman is the gym leader; besides a seven year old wouldn't be allowed to be a gym leader yet". "Yeah" said Tomo.

It was at that moment that May turned up. "Quit bothering Ash and Tomo Max" she said. "I was only talking to them sis" said Max. "Sis?" asked Ash. May explained that Max was her little brother and she was really the gym leader's daughter. A man and woman entered the room, and May introduced them as her dad Norman and her mum Caroline. Norman and Caroline greeted Ash and Tomo at once and invited them to lunch, and Ash and Tomo accepted the offer.

"So Ash, May told us that you and Tomo have been travelling for three years" said Norman. "That's correct," said Ash "I started my pokemon journey when I was ten and Tomo was seven when he joined me". Ash and Tomo explained about Tomo's life of being raised by Ranger Jenny in the pokemon preserve in Kanto after his parents died, and then they explained about when Tomo became adopted in the Ketchum family. "Wow, then you must be happy traveling with your brother right Tomo?" asked Caroline. "Yes I am" smiled Tomo. "Are you collecting gym badges too Tomo?" asked Max. "No I'm not," replied Tomo "I don't know what I want to be, so I'm going to travel with Ash and then find my answer". "That's understandable" said Norman.

After lunch Norman showed Ash and Tomo the battle area in the gym. "So Ash do you wish to challenge me now?" asked Norman. "Not right now," said Ash "I wish to get more hoenn pokemon and train them before I challenge you Norman". He explained that he left all his pokemon, except Pikachu, Latias, Latios and his egg, at Prof Oak's lab because he wanted to start his journey with a new batch of pokemon. "I see," said Norman "then come back here to challenge me when you've earned four badges". "It's a deal" replied Ash. After hearing that Ash had a Latias and a Latios, Max asked Ash if he could see them. Ash released Latias, Latios, Mudkip and Poochyena from their pokeballs, and took out his pokemon egg from his ruck sack. Max flipped when he saw Latias and Latios. Norman and Caroline were surprised too and thought that Ash was very lucky to have legendary pokemon. Tomo released his Treecko, Poochyena and Wynaut, and May released her Torchic and Azuril. "I got Torchic from Prof Birch, like Ash got Mudkip and Tomo got Treecko from Prof Birch, and Ash helped me catch Azuril" explained May. "Well you three have great pokemon on you," said Norman "and since May told us that she was going to travel with you, Ash and Tomo, I can't leave my daughter in better hands". "Don't worry," said Ash "we will help May in any way we can". "Yes" replied Tomo.