•22•

"You saw that lil chocolate boy move in next door?! Girlllll. Zekendi need a step-pappy." Dijah rubbed her stomach.

"That's what you're gonna name her?" I asked.

"Zekendi Iman... you don't like it?" She furrowed her eyebrows.

"It'll grow on me. His name is Mishak.  I'm supposed to be taking him and his sister out on the town Friday. Wanna roll ?"

"Girl, naw... I ain't friendly. Bring me back a milkshake though." She grinned.

"Well get friendly, I got some girls I want you to meet. Chili, T-boz, Selena-"
My phone started to ring, cutting me off.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Monika? Please come get me. Please. Please. Please." I heard Michel'le voice trembling and as low as a whisper.

"Michel'le, What's the matter?!" I asked grabbing my car keys.

"Suge... he- he went ape shit. I need you to come get me. I'm on Madison, 110th. I'm hiding out in a building. Pretty sure his goons are out here looking for me. Please Mo, i need you." She pleaded.

"Shit. Stay there and outta sight. I'll be there soon." I hung up.

"That's that girl that sound like Minnie Mouse?! I love her! She's coming here?!" Dijah jumped up.

"Yeah. Try not to tell her she sound like that when you see her, okay? I'll be back."

***

"You need the hospital, Mi." I wiped the blood from her eye and lip.

"Yeah, that's exactly what he wants. He can easily pop up and act worried. He know I won't snitch." She looked at herself in the mirror.

"Why you deal with this shit?" I asked, irritated.

"He loves me, Mo. He- he saved me from Dre, he just has a lot of issues. I'm here to help him. He's so used to people giving up on him. I can change him, Mo, I swear." She pleaded.

I held on to my steering wheel tight, wanting to rip her a new asshole.

"Michel'le... he saved you from Dre to beat ya ass ten times worse? One thing I learned is that if you mean anything to a man at all, he'll do everything in his power to keep you and he won't ever hurt you. This is a man, not a child. He don't need no excuses made for him. A talented woman like you don't need to be getting treated like that. Believe me."  I calmly spoke.

"Just... drive." She looked out the window with misty eyes.

I stood quiet and did just that.

***

"Y'all find that bitch before I make all of y'all niggas meet Jesus and Judas! You hear me?! Find that chipmunk bitch and bring her back to me!" I heard Suge going off on the phone as I walked into the studio.

He slammed the phone down then laughed maniacally.

"She keep forgetting who she fuckin with!" He growled.

I cleared my throat.

He whipped his head in my direction so fast, I was surprised his neck didn't snap. Who was I kidding? He had no neck like he had no soul.

"Monika... you still around?  Thought the little dyke done ran you off." He smirked.

"Dyke?" I cocked my head.

"The little bitch that's with Pac now." He lit his cigar.

"Hmph. Not here to talk about that, I'm here for-"