•52•

"I ain't jiving, y'all. She said she could read minds, so y'all better be careful what y'all think around her!" I spat.

"My life was normal before I met you, I swear." Keke rolled her eyes.

"Girl, fuck you."

"And who the fuck is your Arab friend?" Dijah raised an eyebrow.

"That's Zen. My midwife."

"Well, why is Zen all up in mine widdit?" Dijah sized her up.

Covered and all, I can feel Zen daring Khadijah to jump.

"She ain't here for you, baby, chill. We ain't in New York." Keke tried to calm her down.

"So ghetto..." I dimmed my eyes at my best friend.

Tamaré entered the dining room.

"Yes, Keke. So, I'm going to take a strong guess and say you told them I'm capable of reading minds?" She smirked as she looked at both Khadijah and Keke.

"What were y'all thinking?!" I whispered sharply to them.

"I just thought 'bitch is you a mind reader for reals'? My bad, Mo." Keke bit her lip.

"Why you always gotta go trying shit out? Damn!" I threw my hands up.

"It's fine, I was going to have to tell them anyways... Keke has a very vivid mind and as much as I appreciate your transparency I'd like for you to stop referring to me as fine witch bitch." Tamaré spoke.

"Oh you think she fine, huh? Maybe I should do some voodoo on yo dumb ass." Khadijah barked, poking at Keke's forehead.

"I don't do voodoo..."

"Aht! Then how can you read minds? You working with the devil?" Khadijah pointed at her.

"That's enough!" I intervened.

"Respectfully, Khadijah... I'm here to serve and protect but in the mist of all this goodness, don't lose sight of the real baby, don't get yourself wrecked." Tamaré took a step closer to us, and I noticed that
Zen did the same.

"That won't be necessary. Dijah, chill. Keke... chill on the thoughts." I held my hands up.

I felt a pain in my stomach and I just knew I was gonna drop soon. I wasn't ready for the experience but I was so ready to meet my son. Zen quickly took my side and rubbed my back. As her hands slid forward, I watched her finger tips.

These hands...?

I quickly turned to look into her eyes for the first time; I needed confirmation because there was no way in hell...

Zen and I stared at each other for what seemed like eternity, as I now knew exactly who she was.

She shook her head, pleading with me to hang on to what I wanted to say.

I became overwhelmed with emotion. So much emotion that I couldn't breathe, so much emotion that my body tensed up, so much emotion that...

"Monika, your water broke!"

***