•37•

Mo

I woke up to a cranky and fussing Kemorre. It was about 3AM and I had just fallen asleep.

Dijah and Keke rotated shifts with Kemorre often and neither one of them got rest. As time went by, I thought Kemorre would be able to sleep through the night, but boy, was I wrong.

I shuffled to Khadijah's room and gently picked my niece up. I looked over at Ke and Dij and they were snuggled up on each other, fast asleep.

I smelled to see if she soiled her diaper but that wasn't it. She had to be hungry.

I took her to the kitchen with me and fixed her bottle.

Pac crossed my mind more often than not. I wondered how he was doing in jail and often yearned to see him.

As Kemorre drank from her bottle I thought back on the time Pac got me to smoke for the first time on my 18th birthday.

My life was in shambles and Pac seemed to be the glue that held it altogether. How he allowed us to go to waste, I'd never know.

My thoughts were interrupted by a light knock on the door.

I wasn't expecting anyone and it was too damn late for any visitors. I crept up to the door and looked out the peephole.

There stood a guy looking down as if he was listening to see if anyone was coming to the door.

"Who it is ?!" I hollered.

"Devante... I just moved in next door. My bad for waking you, I know it's late but my power went out. I was wondering if y'all got some candles or somethin. I know it's late." He spoke with a raspy voice that made my coochie quiver like it wasn't the crack of dawn.

I opened the door, curious to see if he looked as good as he sounded.

Kemorre stopped sucking at her bottle as if to say damn aunty, you better let his fine ass in.

He had these light eyes that were captivating, a nice pair of lips to match, and a single hoop in his ear.

I said nothing but continued to stare at his fine ass.

"Ah damn, I wake your baby?" He looked at Kemorre who was now all up in his grill the same way I was.

"This ain't my baby, she's my niece. We were already up. Why do you care that your power went out at 3:40? It's bedtime." I smirked.

"She's a cutie and uh between you and I, I hate the darkness.  I usually sleep with my TV on but that wasn't an option so a nigga need some candles." He shrugged.

I looked him over one more time.

"Sorry... can I just-" I patted his pockets and waist for any weapons.

"You done been through some shit, huh?" He laughed as he held his hands up and allowed me to search him.

"Shiiiiieeeet. You have no idea. Thanks for being cool about it, though. Come in. Stand right here." I instructed.

Definete did as he was told while Kemorre and I searched for candles in the cabinet below the sink.

I found about 5 and  offered them up to him.