Prolouge

Cole Jackson ^

Cole Jackson ^

Everyone once and a while the universe throws a curve ball your way- testing your ability to take on anything. Sometimes that curveball is a person who comes into your life and just changes everything. How you look at the world. How music sounds to you. How you see people can even change.

In the swampy summer of 2017 Cole Jackson was thrown one of these curve balls by the universe. This curve ball transformed Cole from a spoiled jock to a deeply caring person. And it all started at football practice.

--

The day was hot, scourchingly so. The Quarter back Cole Jackson was supporting himself on his knees. He was drenched in sweat- so much so that it dripped into his eyes sometimes. His heavy breath came out in thick puffs. He lifted his left hand to wipe the sweat from his upper lip and sighed loudly.

He pushed himself off of the turf onto his feet- he stood tall and faced the sophomore team. He looked to his coach who was looking at the rest of the varsity team, "If you can catch up to the senior boys by the end of the summer I'll consider you for starter. If you manage to beat one of them- I'll 100% make you a starter!" The coach yelled.

Cole himself wasn't paying much attention –he'd been playing football as long as he could remember so the coach's threats of replacing the varsity team with younger models didn't really apply to him. Instead of paying attention he was looking longingly at the school building- something he never thought he'd do.

They'd been running drills since 8 AM and now it had just turned 4. Cole was dog tired and pinching for a break and now that the coach was focusing on the rising varsity team and not the current one- it was his change to book it to some AC. He never imagined he'd think of the stinky locker room as a safe haven but now the cool metal lockers were looking good.

He began walking a few steps backwards and a few of his team mates caught sight of him, winked, and went on their way back to practice – knowing Cole was on his way to escaping the pounding July sun. He hastily pushed the locker room door open and audibly sighed with glee.

He immediately readied himself for a freezing cold shower- he wanted ice cubes to come out of that shower head. He steered his body to the showers- his muscles begging for cold water. He grabbed his white towel from the rack and moved to turn the water on.

The showers weren't used during the school year but during the summer training season they were open for team use. To be honest- the only team that practiced in this summer heat was Football. Seattle was serious about its football.

The cold water hit his chest like they were the ice cubes he desired and he placed his hands palm down on the tile wall in front of him. He lolled his head back and forth, savoring the chilly water on his tired and sore muscles. He rubbed himself up with soap to rid his body of the sticky sweat and dirt and washed himself squeaky clean.

Once he was sparkling he turned the water off and wrapped his hand around his fluffy towel. He dried his shaved head first and chest then wrapped the towel tight around his hips. Since the locker room was empty he didn't bother to bring his day clothing with him.

Once he stood in front of his locker he undid towel and tossed it to lay over the bench behind him. He took a moment and placed his hands on his naked hips- sighing heavily. He was thinking that if he kept playing this hard in this weather he was going to run himself into the ground. But football was all he knew.

So, he reached for his CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC T-shirt and pulled it over his wide shoulders. He stepped into navy blue boxer briefs and shimmied into them-then covered them with black basketball shorts he shoved his tired feet into NIKE flip flops and hung his towel up to dry.

After locking his locker, he ducked into the high school hallways. His high school was one of the newer constructions- terrazzo floors in white and royal blue with golden edging. The ceilings were maybe 11 feet high and the windows were large and vast. The football field he spent most of his time on was professional quality AstroTurf.

Cole huffed and shoved his hands deep in his pockets- slapping his flip flops on the floor and he came to the end of the locker room hall. He looked around the corner-making sure there were no security guards that would rat him out to his coach.

There were no brooding security guards but the light was on in the gym- which was odd. No one was supposed to be in there-it was closed for the summer. Curiosity was eating at Cole and as much as he told himself to just head home- he gave in and made his way to the gym. He held his duffle bag filled with his football gear with one hand and pushed the heavy metal door open with the other.

The sound of a soccer ball hitting the backwall beckoned Cole to investigate more. He stepped in fully and pulled the door closed behind him just in time for a soccer ball to wiz past his head and hit the wall with a loud SMACK!

"Jesus!" Cole yelped in a higher voice than he'll admit. He met eyes with the kicker.

The boy was tall and scrawny- with loose curly black hair down to his shoulder. He had dark-almost black eyes that were looking back at Cole with an unimpressed expression.

"Sorry, man" the kid spoke- a smooth voice surprising Cole.

"You know the gym is closed for the summer" Cole retorted- smiling a bit and looking down at the soccer ball.

"Not if you have the key" the boy smiled cheekily and walked to get the ball that had rolled back within a few feet on the boy.

"You the kid of a teacher?" Cole asked- not entirely sure why he was asking.

"Nope" the kid smacked his lips- revealing to Cole both a pierced lip and tongue.

"You on the team?" Cole asked, "With a kick like that I bet you'd be all-star"

"Never pass the physical" the kid muttered and kicked the ball again, "Plus, the coach hates my guts"

"Why?" Cole pushed and kicked the ball back to the other guy.

"I'm a punk and a goth" the guy rolled his eyes, "can't have a tattooed- pierced- weirdo on the team, be bad for looks"

"That's stupid" Cole stated.

"Yeah Jock- it is," the other boy sniffed, "but what am I gonna do bout it? I'm going to be gone after this year anyway- wouldn't be worth the fight I'd have to put up"

"Hold up. You're a senior? How come I've never seen you around before?"

"Different social circles," the boy explained, "You're always with your team- I barley go to class. Why do you even care?"

"Cause I'm bored," Cole sucked his teeth, "You seem interesting"

The other guy snorted in amusement, "You'll just get in trouble-piss off"

"Wow," Cole huffed and crossed his arms over his chest, "Fine..."

He didn't know the other guy's name.

"Angel" The guy said and picked up the ball and a black backpack- he started walking to Cole and passed him by, "the name's Angel"

"Fine Angel" Cole said looking back, "You're an asshole anyway"

Angel stuck his tongue out and threw up a piece sign as he left.