Chapter 19: Here and Queer

Since Angel returned from his weekend away it was safe to say that things had changed. Now, he was less careful with where he demanded affection. There had been several times when Angel had pulled Cole into the bathroom to do more than just steal a peck. These excursions usually left them both panting and Cole staying after the moment to calm down from what he can only call- sleeping with a hurricane.

Of course, Angel was too much of a sweetheart to do anything to scar Cole or prevent hm from going to practice, but it was enough for Cole to understand why the punk held back for so long. Cole felt like he just walked through a wild fire. He was thoroughly dry and exhausted when the day came to an end.

But Angels hunger woke something within Cole and the boy found it harder and harder to keep his hands off the punk. It didn't help that Vinny and his girl were big on PDA. It made Cole reminiscent of when Angel was in the hospital and people didn't find it odd when they saw them so close, Angel had just suffered a tragedy, Cole was a comfort.

But angel was no longer bruised or underweight. He was a rising soccer star with a habit of laughing too loud and showing up to football practice if he got out early. It was obvious to Rex and Vinny that Coles resolve was slowly crumbling. It didn't help that all the training was bulking the punk up and that Cole was close to pin pointing where he was on the rainbow. When December rolled into its second week, he started slowly sharing his heart with the people around him. It was to he people he sat at the lunch table with first. Then, one a certain Wednesday- complete by accident, it came out to the rest of the team.

They were throwing passes, working harder than they had all season when Cole threw a little too far to the right for Vinny to catch the pass. Coach Stevenson called the whole practice to a halt and lectured Cole in front of them all, beating the boy down into a vulnerable state.

"Why are you having such trouble throwing straight?!" Stevenson yelled.

"Well I'm having trouble being straight, so it makes sense!" Cole snapped back and the clamped his mouth shut after realizing what he had done.

Vinny and Rex met Cole with wide eyes and the rest of the team, took a collective step away from the boiling coach and the severely embarrassed quarter back. Cole pursed his lips after a silent moment and picked up a spare ball, "we have playoffs on Friday, my bisexuality doesn't really affect that now does it? Let's get back to work, yeah?"

Stevenson narrowed his eyes at the boy but sighed, "it doesn't and frankly I don't care, just do better or I'll bench you for Friday- alright. Boys!" he called the rest of the team's attention to him, "not a word of this to anyone not on this field- we don't need a frenzy over anything but the trophy we are going to bring home Friday night, hear me?"

The team nodded, and Stevenson flicked his hand to signal the return to drills. It was safe to say that Angel laughed hysterically when he was told of Coles fumble at dinner that night. James was less amused but having seen the boys better each other in the last months, his son's sexuality didn't bother him. Besides, him and Shay had known for months.

When it came time to sleep, Cole found the punk curled up next to his hips in the middle of the night. He had already decided that he was going to cheesy and cliché when it came to finally presenting Angel to the rest of the school. In fact, he was going to be cheesier than fondue.

So, the week went on. The team kept their lips sealed about Coles proclamation on the field and all prepared diligently for the playoffs. Angel was just as busy, he was preparing for the photo expo as well as working twice as hard as any soccer team member to get his place starting for the spring season. His body had begun to bulk up and he looked so much different from when Cole first encountered him in the gym over the summer. Cole felt fuzzy every time he tough of that day, the shortness of his lover's hair was stuck in his head. He wondered what it was like to run his fingers through the curls when they were short and tight.