Chapter 3 : Jewels

That Saturday night Cole stood in front of the full-length mirror hanging on the back of his bedroom down and looked himself up and down. He looked good- more grown up now that he had shaved his stubble. His older sister sat in his desk chair and watched him button and unbutton the top button of his royal purple dress shirt.

"Keep it unbuttoned" Tara spoke up-, "you look way too serious with it buttoned all the way up"

"Thanks" he nodded and undid the button one last time.

"Where are you taking her?" Tara asked, throwing her head forwards so she could tame her tangled curls by putting them in a big bun.

"Oliver's" Cole replied, smoothing down his shirt and reaching for a black belt that was hanging on the end bedpost of his full-sized bed.

"Oo" Tara teased her little brother, "fancy. So like- do you really want to date her or just put your hand up her skirt?" Tara asked- looking at her nails and not paying attention to catch her brother's 'what the hell' face. When she finally looked up he had his bushy brows furrowed and his moth slight ajar, "What?"

"Didn't mom teach you manners?" Cole asked.

"Yeah- you know what undoes manners? law school- bitches are cut throat. No time for a sigh of weakness"

"So, being vulgar is a sign of strength?" Cole asked.

"Totally- besides it's not like I asked if you were gonna stick your dick in her"

"Okay Tara- remember I am you little brother- okay? This is a bit weird" Cole breathed, "I'm gonna go brush my teeth- go watch tv with mom or something"

Tara stuck her tongue out playfully- reminding Cole of how Angel said goodbye the first time they met. Cole mentally slapped himself- he should not be thinking about the punk right now! He was about to go on a date with one of the cutest girls I school.

Still- he couldn't banish the nagging feeling he was doing something wrong. He looked at himself in the bathroom mirror and took a deep breath- closing his eyes and trying to center himself. His hands gripped the edge of the sink and he cursed at himself. He didn't know how to describe the hurricane of emotions ripping through him like he was a trailer park in Florida.

When he opened his eyes, he noticed how tired he looked- under his blue eyes laid heavy purple bags. He looked pale- which for him was unwanted. He liked his skin. He shook his head- let out another deep sigh and bent down to splash his face with cold water.

There, he thought, a little better.

He grabbed his toothbrush and brushed his teeth until he was satisfied. As he rinsed his mouth with water his phone vibrated in his back pocket. He spit the water in the sink and dabbed his face with the hand towel hanging on the wall. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and checked his notifications. It was Vinny.

Use a condom ;p

Cole didn't reply, instead he slipped his phone back into his pocket and trotted down the dark wood stairs to the living room. Tara had taken his advice and was now sitting next to his mother on a large L shaped couch watching TV. Tara had a fluffy Ragdoll cat in her lap and it mewled when it caught sight of Cole at the base of the stairs.

"I'd pet you Violet," Cole told the cat, "but you'd shed all over my clothes"

The cat seemed to understand and turned her head back to Tara who scratched her under the chin. Cole snickered and walked to the hall closet to grab his black dress shoes. He slipped his feet into them- using the wall as support as he pulled the shoe over his heels.