Chapter 4: Growing Pains

SORRY I'VE BEEN GONE SO LONG- ADJUSTING TO COLLEGE WAS AN ADVENTURE.

Cole didn't get much sleep that week- when the next Monday rolled around he didn't go to school- telling his mother and father he was feeling like he had the flu. Laura came over- sat on his bed and let him lay his head in her lap. He listened to her heart beat as she ran her hand over his shaved head.

She shushed him when he felt really tense, "how am I supposed to look him in the eyes?" he would ask a few times a day. His mother looked at him with pity- regretting telling her son about his classmate. His father would stay silent- not knowing how to tackle the question. Laura shook her head and buried her face in his chest- tearing up herself. When the next Friday came around and Cole was still skipping art Laura decided she had had enough.

While she sat with their hands wrapped around each other at lunch she let her head fall onto his stiff shoulder, "Can you go to Photo today?" she asked- batting her big blue eyes at Cole- knowing that no one could resist that look.

He looked down at their hands and nodded, "maybe invite him for dinner- for the photo project?" she spoke and he nodded again, he wasn't too talkative lately and only his family and Laura knew why. Vinny and Rex just thought their boy was feeling down- his teachers thought Cole had finally gotten himself together.

He pulled his phone out of his pocket and dialed is moms number- knowing she got Fridays off from work. She answered on the second ring.

"Hey honey- what's up?" Shay chirped.

"Do you think it would be okay if Angel came over for dinner?" Cole asked attentively- keeping his voice low so Vinny and Rex didn't over hear- they'd start bitching about Angel again and Cole didn't think he could hold back physical violence if they started spewing shit about someone they didn't even know.

"Yeah!" Shay smiled, "of course- oh man, he wouldn't remember us but it would be so nice to see him- ask him if he's allergic to anything and bring him over tonight!"

"Don't make a big fuss over him- I'm not planning on telling him I know all about his parent's dirty laundry" Cole mumbled, "And I also still don't know how to confront the issues of him being- you know"

Shay hummed in agreement, "don't worry Cole, I'll just think of him as your classmate, I'll see you this afternoon"

"Bye mom"

"Love you" Shay said goodbye.

"You too" Cole responded and hung up the phone. He looked to Laura and she smiled slightly, kissing his jawline.

Cole had been robotic- going to class but not listening- not taking notes. He'd been shit at practice- his coach had spent a hour yesterday after the team was dismissed- just yelling at Cole to shape up. How is he supposed to tell his coach he's playing like shit because he can't get the image of Angel out of his god damn head.

He didn't even know why the punk was stuck in his brain- he just was and honestly- Cole felt like the Splinter of Angel was disrupting his entire life. It was his senior year- supposed to be all happy-go-lucky. Yet he had large purple bags under eyes and he couldn't really care less that he was dating one of the prettiest girls in the entire student body.

He and Rex walked to photo and Cole found himself dragging his feet. Just behind that door- sitting in a dark room was a big problem. He felt his chest tighten at the image of Angels bright eyes studying his own photos- him laughing in the wind on the roof that day.

Cole had never felt like less of a man than he did right now- walking to an issue he couldn't solve. He hated it- felt himself being beaten down by his knowledge. Rex went on rambling about some party he was going to over the weekend and Cole wondered if what he needed was just to get sloppy drink and forget the weight on him for a few hours.