Chapter 6: Life of the Party

It's your lucky day- I am on a train back to college so I've had a few hours of typing time :) Let's finally get juicy.

Chapter 6: Life of the Party

            Angel ended up staying the night- Shay was happy doting on the boy- never passing up the chance to pamper him. Cole laughed as his mother fussed over Angels skinniness- making remarks about how his mother was just not feeding him enough. Cole figured Angel was tired since he never once fought against the attention.

            Angel ate his dinner greedily and Cole tried his hardest not to watch him too carefully. But when Angel ate with such verbosity it was slightly entertaining. By the end of the meal he had pasta sauce on his chin and a swollen stomach, he had properly stuffed himself. Cole and Shay both tried not to think about the last time he had a proper meal. After dinner Cole sat on his doorstep as Angel mucked around with his camera- taking pictures of Shay's garden.

            Angel had become Violets favorite human being in the matter of three hours. The black and white cat settled in Angels lap after taking pictures and promptly fell asleep. Angel didn't deem to mind at all- he laid his hand softly on the cat and scratched under her chin. Shay watched adoringly- seeing her college friends in Angel.

            To her he looked just like his mother- with hint of his father laying in his crooked grin and speech. It took everything Shay had not to jump the boy and wrap him in a huge hug- forbidding he ever go back to the house he called home. As Cole sat in his bedroom on the phone with Laura Angel laughed at the banter between Shay and Tara.

            "Yeah, he's here- I made him cry this afternoon though, feel like shit about that" Cole told Laura. He was lying on his back on his bed- the phone next to his ear on speaker.

            "How'd you make him cry?" she asked.

            "I kind of lost it and confronted him about the whole thing" Cole admitted regretfully.

            Laura sighed on the other end, "did he say anything about it?"

            "He just yelled at me and told me to shut up- he didn't admit to anything- said his uncle knew but since he has no rights to him couldn't do anything"

            "This whole thing sucks"

            "Yeah- a ton but what are we gonna do about it? I mean he's staying here this weekend and he's safe- that's all I can really ask for. I told him he can come here whenever he needs to – my mom backed me up"

            "Has she spilled the beans on knowing his parents?" Laura asked.

            "No- she treats every one of my friends like my brother so her mothering them is nothing new- she is a little more doting on him but I doubt he notices it"

            "It feels like we are parents" Laura laughed.

            "Well we've got one troubled son" Cole snickered.

            "I have to go- be careful at Rex's party- don't do anything stupid cause I can't drive to get you"

            "I promise I'll be good- bye babe"

            "see you" she blew a kiss into the phone and hung up. Cole laid on his bed for a few moments. He was happy with Laura- he did wonder sometimes if he was her just for Angels sake- because they were the only two that knew and planned to do something about it. She was right- it did feel like they were parents.