Chapter Four

Fay

I wake up to the sound of two alarm clocks blaring at the same time. I quietly groan and reach for the alarm clock I set for...Wait. 6 AM? Since when did I wake up at 6 AM?

I jerk up and almost have a panic attack when I realize I'm not at my house. My breathing starts to quicken, but I almost automatically remember what happened. I'm at Gift Academy. And that alarm clock is a reminder to get up and get ready for my first day of school. I jump out of my bed, excitement filling me. I quickly get dressed in a blue t-shirt with black vines and randomly sprouted leaves decorated on it, skinny jeans, and a blue denim jacket. I throw on my black and white converse and rush out of my room, a big grin on my face. I smell something good coming from the kitchen, so I make my way over there and see Veronica, my awesome roommate, flipping a pancake.

"Good morning, Fay. You hungry?" Veronica asks me, smiling warmly at me. God she's so nice.

"Yeah, thank you," I thank her as she hands me a plastic plate with two pancakes, a fork, and syrup.

"You're welcome," She replies, sitting across from me with her own plate of pancakes. I start to eat when Veronica speaks up.

"So, tell me about yourself, Fay," Veronica suggests to me like an interviewer on T.V. I swallow a small bite and look her in the eye.

"Well, I grew up in California. I don't know what my Gift is yet, but my birthday is next week, so I'll find out then," I explain to her. Her smile brightens even more, if that's even possible.

"Your birthday is next week? We should go out with some other people!" Veronica exclaims, clapping her hands once. I chuckle.

"You don't have to," I tell her as she whips her phone out.

"Don't worry, I know everyone here. Who are your closest friends? Or are you still in that first-day process?" She asks me. I laugh.

"I made a few friends yesterday. I have their numbers," I answer her.

"Great! What are their names?" She questions me.

"Gina Williams, Hailey Johnson, Austin Miller, Wesley Lewis, and Jake Anderson," I reply, and she nods her head, typing on her phone.

"I have their numbers. I'm actually pretty close with them," Veronica informs me.

"Perfect. And I'm obviously brining my twin sister, Flora, since it's her birthday, too," I tell Veronica. She stops typing on her phone and stares at me, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Twin sister? You didn't tell me you have a twin sister," Veronica says.

"Oh, right, sorry. I have an identical twin sister named Flora. She's here as well, in room 151," I explain. Veronicas bright smile returns to her face.

"I can't wait to meet her!" Veronica exclaims, nearly jumping out of her chair in excitement. This girl is really hyper. We'll get along just fine, then.

"Okay. So, where are we going for me and Floras birthday?" I ask Veronica as I help her clean the dishes.

"I don't know. There's not many places you can go to around here. Well, actually, none, but okay. How about we just invite Gina, Hailey, Austin, Jake, Flora, and Wesley here? And maybe Floras roommate, too," Veronica wonders. I nod my head in agreement.

"I like that idea," I reply.

"And we can play spin the bottle!"

"Veronica!"

We both laugh as we dry all the dishes and put them back in the cabinets. I chuckle once more before heading to the bathroom. I brush my teeth and hair, not bothering to put any makeup on. I never put on makeup. It feels kind of useless to me.