Chapter Six

Fay

I once again wake up to the alarm clock beside my bed ringing loudly. I quickly turn it off and realize that I left all my finished homework spread out across the bed and on the floor. I sigh and clean it all up, shoving it in my backpack. I quietly get dressed in a loose turquoise blouse, light blue skinny jeans, a pair of bright brown boots, and gold-chain owl necklace my mom bought me for my birthday last year along with a gold charm bracelet.

I grab my backpack and head out the door. I know that Veronica is still sleeping, and I don't want to wake her, so I drop my backpack on the couch and pour cereal for Veronica and I. There's only one type, which I like, thankfully. I eat mine and soon enough, Veronicas door swings open, revealing a cheerful, hyper Veronica Kylen wearing a gray plaid shirt, black skinny jeans, and white converse. She rushes over to me, smiling, as always.

"Only three days left," She reminds me in a sing-song voice. I know what she's talking about. Me and Floras birthday, and I'm so excited. Not because I'm turning sixteen, or that it's my birthday. I'm excited to find out what Gift I was born with.

"Can't wait to see what Gift you have, huh?" Veronica asks me, as if reading my mind.

"Yeah. I wonder what I'm going to get," I wonder aloud.

"You seem like a nature," Veronica admits honestly.

"Really? That's what my dad said, too," I brighten at the thought that someone else thinks that I'm going to have the same Gift as my mom. I smile at the thought of her and think about calling her today after classes.

"You ready for class today, V?" I ask Veronica, who lights up like a light bulb at the nickname I gave her.

"Oh yeah. I can't for Gift Wielding class. That's my favorite," Veronica informs me.

"Same here. Just watching everyone use their Gifts makes me want one more and more," I respond.

"It does, doesn't it? Well, three more days and you're good to go!" Veronica exclaims. "By the way, we're inviting Flora- obviously- Gina, Austin, Jake, Hailey, Claire, and Nick. Okay?" She asks me, naming everyone we sat with at lunch yesterday. I nod my head.

"Okay. That's perfect. Thanks, V," I thank her, grabbing my empty cereal bowl, then washing it, drying it, and putting it back in the cabinet.

I go to the bathroom and brush my teeth and hair. When I'm done, Veronica does the same and we head down to History class together, both of us enjoying the crowded hallways buzzing with energy.

I don't know where I'd be right now if I didn't come here.

***

The next two days are a blur. Class after class after class I become more anxious as the clock ticks down during Gift Wielding class, though I'm still impressed by everyone's skills. Everyone has gotten so much better since the first day.

I almost jump up in excitement as the last bell rings. I grab Floras wrist and drag her to my dorm, slamming the door shut behind me. I'm bouncing as Flora's trying to calm me down.

"Calm down, Fay," She orders me softly, patting my shoulder, though she can't help but smile along with me.

"I can't! I'm so anxious! We haven't gotten our Gifts yet and I can't wait!" I shout happily as Veronica walks out of her room, smirking at Flora and I.

"Someone's excited." Veronica points out the obvious. I nod my head frantically.

"I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait!" I exclaim, then there's a knock on the dorm room door.