Chapter Eleven

Fay

I sit on my bed, picking up my phone. I haven't told my parents about what happened at town, or that there's going to be a war at all. I told Flora that I'd do it two weeks ago, but I still haven't. What am I supposed to say to them? 'Hey mom and dad, it's Fay. I just called to say that I love you. By the way, the Extraordinarily Gifted attacked us by bombing the town, there's a traitor in Gift Academy, and there's going to be a war I have to fight in. Call you soon, bye!

I sigh as I go on my contacts list and press 'Mom'. I take a deep breath before pressing the call button. It rings twice before someone picks up.

"Fay?" My mom calls from the other line. I smile at the sound of her voice.

"Mom," I breathe out. I can almost hear the smile forming on her lips.

"Fay. I've missed you so much. How is it? Are you okay? Is the academy okay? Are the people nice? Are you doing well in your classes?" My mom asks me. I chuckle, tears forming at the corners of my eyes.

"I'm fine, Mom. It's great here. The people are great, and the classes are pretty easy. I'm having so much fun here," I bluff, hoping that she buys it.

What am I doing? I can't lie to my mom about this kind of thing.

I interrupt my mom as she starts to speak up again.

"Um, Mom? I need to tell you something. Something really important," I start, hoping that I don't sound too nervous.

"Yeah? What's wrong?" My mom asks me, sounding worried and concerned.

I take a deep breath before explaining everything to her. The dreams Gina and I had, the traitor at Gift, what Gifts Flora and I have, who I met, everything I know about the Extras, the bombing at the town, and the war that's brewing here. When I'm finally finishes, my mom is silent for a good two minutes.

"Um, Mom?" I call to her, looking at my phone to see if the line is disconnected. It isn't.

"Sorry, Honey, it's just that- I can't believe that's all happening to you. Is Flora okay?" Mom asks, and I can tell that she's close to tears.

"She's fine, Mom. We're both fine," I comfort her, trying my best to sound soothing.

"And that girl you share a dorm with- Veronica- what's she like?" My mom questions, but I know that she's just trying to change the subject.

"She's great, the closest friend I have here. She's really nice, don't worry," I tell her, hoping that she'll let it go.

"Okay, Fay. I'm going to go tell your father everything that's happening at Gift. Stay safe, okay Sweetie? I love you," Mom says.

"Love you," I finish, then hesitantly end the call. Before I end it though, I can hear a soft sob from the other line. Tears roll down my cheeks as I picture my mom on her knees in the living room, crying because of me.

I quickly wipe my tears away and almost put my phone on my nightstand until I remember something.

Mr. Hernandez is the only one I've talked to about my dream. He's an adult and he saved my life, I should trust him more than anyone else, but I have an urge to tell Gina about my dream. She went through the same thing, I know how she feels. I want to know all about her dream, and I want to tell her all about mine.

I take a deep breath before opening my phone and texting Gina.

Meet me at the library in five minutes. It's important. Don't bring anyone else with you or tell anyone else about it. It's really private to me. Thanks.

I quickly put everything away and scribble a note down on a post-it for Veronica, who's in her room, doing whatever it is she does in there. Probably chugging pounds of coffee.

Went to the library. Be back in a few minutes. -Fay

I place the note on the kitchen counter, grab my phone and keys, and rush out the dorm, down the stairs, and head to the library.

I hope she meets me there, or else I won't have anyone else to go to.

Gina

I got a text from Fay telling me to meet her in the library. She also said to not bring anyone or to tell anyone I'm meeting her. It's odd and suspicious. Why wouldn't she want me to bring anyone or tell anyone I'm meeting her? What if she really is the traitor and she wants to threaten me or get rid of me for knowing all about that?

My breathing quickens as I leave the dorm room. I should've brought something for protection, like a small knife or something, but I don't want to seem suspicious if anyone spots it.

I fast-walk to the library, nervous and anxious at the same time. I wonder what she wants to talk to me about. Hundreds of things rush through my head.

I stop at the doors of the library, take a deep breath, and enter. There are only a few people here. I look around for Fay when I see her in the back, reading a book, I cautiously walk towards her. She hears my footsteps and looks up, spotting me. She puts the book down and gestures me to her. I take a seat across from her.

"So, what'd you want to talk about?" I ask Fay, ready to use my wind gift to blast her away from me. She looks nervous. I wonder why.

"I need to tell you something about that dream you had last night," Fay answers. I suck in a breath, waiting for something horrible to come out of her mouth. Fay takes a deep breath before speaking again.

"I also had a dream about the Extras," She confesses. I freeze up, letting my guard down. Out of all the things I expected her to say, that wasn't one of them. She also had a dream about the Extras. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

"When?" I ask her, feeling uneasy around her for some reason.

"Two weeks ago. The night before the bombing at the town," She informs me, looking down, suddenly interested in her black and white converse.

"What happened in your dream?" I question her calmly. She seems almost ashamed to admit what happened.

"Three Extras in Extra Academy were plotting against us, saying that they were going to attack the Center. When I woke up, I couldn't remember what it was until it was too late," Fay informs me. My eyes widen in fear and surprise. Why hadn't she told anyone about this?

"Only you and Mr. Hernandez know about this, so please don't tell anyone about it. I'm afraid they'll start suspecting me as the traitor," Fay continues, blinking rapidly, and I can tell that she's trying to blink tears away.

I put my hand on her shoulder, trying to be comforting. I'm stupid for thinking that Fay was the traitor. She's my best friend, I can't start suspecting her without legit proof.

"Don't worry, Fay. Your secret's safe with me."