Chapter Twenty Eight

Fay

I sit down on a chair next to Mr. Hernandezs' bed, and he looks at me seriously.

"You can't tell anyone about what I'm about to tell you right now, Fay," Mr. Hernandez tells me, a dark look in his eyes. I nod my head mutely, waiting anxiously for what will come next.

"The object that Noah wanted, it can probably be the thing that can end this war," Mr. Hernandez starts, and I begin to speak up.

"Then why don't we just use it?" I ask him. He shakes his head.

"This object is extremely dangerous. It can kill hundreds, maybe thousands of people in one day. It can only be used by the one person who knows how to use it, and someone trustworthy enough so that they don't use it for bad," Mr. Hernandez continues, looking a lot more tired out now.

"So...what is it?" I question, praying that it's not as bad as I think it is.

Mr. Hernandez hesitates before answering me. I don't blame him. If I were him, I wouldn't exactly trust a student four years younger than me with this kind of information.

"A weapon. A dagger," Mr. Hernandez answers. A dagger? The object that Noah wanted so badly he was willing to kill for it, the object that can kill so many people in a day, is a dagger?

"It's not like a regular dagger. It looks like it is, but it has powers that no one has discovered yet. Very dangerous powers," Mr. Hernandez adds in, almost as if he was reading my mind.

"How do we not know what the powers are?" I ask him, my mind racing as I try to take all this information in.

"Like I told you, only one person can wield it. We haven't found that person yet. Everyone else who has tried to use it before was burned the moment they touched it," Mr. Hernandez explains, glancing down at his right hand. He has touched it before, and it burned him.

"Okay, and why are you telling me this?" I ask Mr. Hernandez. I know I asked before when we were with Noah, but why would Mr. Hernandez tell me, his student?

"I'm telling you because I think I found the wielder," Mr. Hernandez answers, and my ears perk up at that. Who can it be?

"Who?" I ask excitedly. Mr. Hernandez doesn't respond. He just keeps looking me in the eye.

I think for a few moments before the realization hits me like a bullet.

"No. I can't possibly be-" I start, but Mr. Hernandez cuts me off.

"You are the bravest, most loyal Gifted I know, Fay. If anyone can wield that dagger, it's you," Mr. Hernandez says in a confident tone.

"But everyone else, it can't be one of them?" I ask Mr. Hernandez, hoping that he'll say that there's someone else that can wield it, not me. I don't want to be the one in charge of an all-powerful, mass destruction murder weapon. Mr. Hernandez unfortunately just shakes his head.

"You're the only person whom I trust this with," Mr. Hernandez replies. I'm not sure what to make of this. Mr. Hernandez might be right, or he could be giving both of us false hope. Whatever it is, I'm willing to try it. To help Gift Academy and my fellow Gifted.

"Okay. Where is it?" I inquire.

"Tomorrow after your classes, I'll be out of here. Meet me in my office. Don't bring anyone else," Mr. Hernandez orders me.

"Wait, you have the most dangerous weapon in the world just sitting in your office?" I ask Mr. Hernandez.

"No, of course not. I know where it is, and I'll bring it," Mr. Hernandez replies, and I remember something that he said.

"But your hand. Won't you get burned touching it?" I question, hoping that he doesn't get himself hurt so I can try to wield it.

"No, I won't actually be touching it. It's in a case, and I'll bring that up to you. And Fay, if it doesn't work, I'm really sorry if it burns or hurts you," Mr. Hernandez rambles quickly. I slightly shake my head at him.

"It's fine. And I came down here to check on you. Is everything okay?" I ask him in a worried tone.

"As good as it can be," Mr. Hernandez replies, which is another lie. I glance down at the bloody bandages on his right arm and back up at him with one eyebrow raised.

"Okay, not as good as I had hoped, but I'm still healing," Mr. Hernandez corrects, making me sigh in exasperation.

"I'll come to your office tomorrow," I promise, then stand up and leave, glancing at the back of the room to Hailey and Claire. Claire is speaking to Hailey silently, looking down while Hailey looks shocked. I have a strong feeling I know what Claire is talking about.

I allow myself a small smile before heading out of the infirmary, quietly closing the door behind me. I quickly head back up to Flora and Claires dorm. I knock on the door and a second later, the door swings open to reveal Flora. She smiles at me, and there's a glint of something in her eyes, but I can't make out what it is.

Flora doesn't say a word. She just silently steps aside for me. I walk back into the dorm and sit down on the chair I was sitting on before.

"How is he?" Flora asks me, seeming to avoid eye contact with me.

"He's fine. Healing well," I reply, thinking back to the bloody bandages wrapped around him. I'm honestly not sure if what I said was true. Is he healing well? It has been ten days, and he's still bleeding.

I feel a dark anger rise in my chest. The next time I see Noah, I'm going to show him what 'no mercy' really looks- and feels- like.

My mind flashes back to what Mr. Hernandez said about the dagger. That only a trustworthy person who won't use it for bad can wield it. I vividly remember killing Ethan Norwood for being a threat to my friends, almost killing Mariah Smith in the same way for killing Veronica, and more times where I definitely would've used the weapon out of anger. Even if I am the wielder, would I keep my promise and use it for good and protection only?

I will. I promise to the other Gifted, to Mr. Herandnez, my family, and Gift Academy that I will only use the dagger in emergencies, when I need to. Not out of anger or for loyalty to my friends and family. They won't want that.

I'll protect them, but not like that. I can never do that and still be Fay Landoff. I won't be the same person, and I never will be.