Chapter Three

The heat from the fire place did very little to keep the room warm.

Sitting with a cup of coffee in her hands, Gina watched from her position on the single settee in the room as her son packed his bag. Because they lived in a little cottage, there was no difference between the bedroom, the parlor and the kitchen. The two cots by the far corner of the room helped to distinguish that part as the bedroom. There was a big work table that occupied the bulk of the room; Gina made most of their meals on that table. And a single settee, the one now being occupied by Gina, stood very close to the fireplace.

Gina studied her son for a while as he packed. His olive skin and muscled body had only come as a result of so much hard work. Even with his back to her, she could tell just how handsome he had grown to become. With dark brown hair, gray eyes and the etiquettes of a gentle man, she knew her son would make the perfect husband to a lucky girl someday.

But Gina's mention of a possible affair with a girl had left her son in a depressed mood since the night before.

Gina couldn't say she misunderstood her son's depression for she did. While she was certain she raised a good man, she knew his charms and features wouldn't get him a woman's attention, money would. And her son might have everything, but he lacked the money.

She watched as he straightened and turned to her, his luggage in his hand. He made his way to where she sat and placed his bag on the floor.

"I need to leave if I must catch the train to London." He said. Even in the dimly lit room, Gina could tell his features were still clouded as it had been the night before.

Releasing a sigh, she rose to her feet and her night gown immediately fell to it's length at her feet.

She reached forward and touched his face. "I love you." She whispered.

"I know, Ma." He forced a smile.

"I hate that you have to work so hard, Bailey. I look forward to the day when you'll be happy, for real." She sighed. "Whoever she is," She began and she immediately heard Bailey heave a tired breath as he lowered his gaze. "You're good enough." She lifted his chin up and stared into his eyes. "You're good enough, Bailey. And, if you weren't already my son," She teased. "I'd snatch you right up and fall on my knees, begging you to marry me!" She clasped both her hands together.

Bailey's face broke into a broad smile, dimples appearing on his cheeks.

"I'm proud of you." She held his gaze and took captive of his hand. "I'm proud of you and I love you." She said, before pulling him into her embrace.

He tightened his hold around her and leaned down, placing his head on her shoulder. Gina could tell how troubled he was but she knew there was little she could do about it.

"Ellie," He whispered against her shoulder. "Her name's Ellie and she might never love me in return."

Gina ran her palm up and down Bailey's back in a bid to reassure him.

"Whoever Ellie is," She began. "She'll be such a fool not to love you in return."

~ ~

Gary Wellington Senior wasn't exactly certain of how to feel about his grandson's visit. And the second his grandson told him of his mission to his estate in London, Gary immediately felt anger build up on his inside.

Tightening his hold on his tea cup in an attempt to keep himself from hurling it at his irresponsible grandson, Gary sat with angry eyes aimed at Frederick.

Money.

Frederick had requested for money but for an entire hour, was unable to explain to his grandfather what he needed the money for. While Gary knew exactly what his grandson needed money for, he wanted Frederick to admit it himself. He wanted Frederick to admit to squandering a fortune that took Edward, Gary's son, an entire lifetime to amass! An entire lifetime! It took his incredibly irresponsible grandson one year to throw an entire lifetime's worth of wealth away.