Chapter Eleven

Pulling her eyelids shut for a brief second, taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly, Elizabeth squared her shoulders and began her bold entrance into the ball room with a smile plastered on her face.

She hated social gatherings. But for Mother and Father, she would avoid every social gathering in England. What was even worse than a social gathering, was a ball thrown in a desperate attempt to find a man for her. And it didn't matter how many men she turned down, she thought as her gaze traveled the crowded ballroom, these men kept showing up.

As she scanned the room, her eyes fell on a familiar bachelor who was making his way to her, most likely to ask for a dance. She had to press her lips together to keep the groan that threatened to escape, in.

Tearing her eyes briefly from the approaching 'predator', she scanned the room desperately for an escape. Her gaze immediately settled on Frederick. Dressed in a black tailored suit with his hair slicked to the back, Elizabeth thought he looked handsome. And exceptionally so. He stood tall with a smile on his face as he engaged  Caitlin in a conversation.

Knowing fully well that the approaching bachelor was most likely only but a few steps away from her, she began approaching Frederick and Caitlin. As if hearing her approaching footsteps, Frederick turned to her and a smile immediately brightened his face.

He's handsome, she thought.

“It's so wonderful to finally have you join us, Lady Williams.” Frederick's admiring gaze lingered on Elizabeth briefly, before holding out his hand to her.

“Lord Frederick,” She smiled and offered her hand. He leaned down and brushed his lips lightly against her knuckles before straightening. “I'm so glad you could come.”

“I would not have missed it for the world, My Lady.”

Elizabeth felt heat spread across her cheeks as Frederick beheld her in admiration. She liked being the center of Frederick's attention, she decided.

“If you would both excuse me.”

Elizabeth turned just in time to find Caitlin walking away. A frown settled on her face as she watched her friend's retreating figure. 

“I must admit, your parents throw a wonderful ball.” Frederick called from his position beside Elizabeth. She turned to him and smiled, nodding her head. “But if it isn't too much trouble, My Lady, I would love to steal you for a few seconds.”

“Surely you do not plan to have me go on another race with you, Lord Wellington, my parents will simply be furious.”

“I can assure you, where I'm about to take you will please your parents greatly.” He grinned.

“Oh?” She returned his smile, “very well then. I would rather be in your company than a room full of men whose interest lies only in climbing the social ladder.”

Frederick held out his hand to her and she reached forward to take it when the sight of a familiar female, caught her attention.

“I'm so sorry, Lord Frederick, but it would seem that someone else needs my assistance.”

“And who might that be?” Frederick quirked a brow.

“My Aunt.”

~ ~

Caitlin's fingers balled into a fist as she turned around and made her way out of the ball room.

Someone had asked to court her! And not just anyone, the son of a Judge! A rich, heir to a massive fortune had asked to court her!