Chapter Twenty Nine

But for the bright moon, the night sky stood empty, devoid of stars. Ellie's gaze lingered on the sky for a while, soaking up the air into her being and allowing herself to forget for a little while, her rapidly growing pile of problems. She wrapped her arms around herself to keep her body warm and her mind from wandering to Bailey or the fact that she wanted to be with him in that moment; to be in his arms. But it didn't matter. It didn't matter that she wanted to be with him for he wanted nothing to do with her. She fought against her tears that threatened to fall as she pictured him walking out on her, leaving her standing in his room like a fool. 

She couldn't bear the shame which was the main reason she couldn't look him in the eyes. She had practically offered her body to him and he had walked away.

Perhaps he didn't find her attractive, perhaps he thought her too ugly to even look at.

All Elizabeth wanted to do was mount her horse and run as far as the horse could bear to run before breaking down. She wanted to grow wings, by some sort of miracle, and fly to the sky where she'd sit on the clouds and not have to think of the world. She wanted to bury her head in the sand and close her eyes for a while before waking up with no memory of her life in the past month. But, the longer she stood yearning for escape, the more she realized that she was trapped. In her bid to escape the world of lies her parents had built, she had entered into a trap that was determined to keep her prisoner.

“Beautiful night.”

Elizabeth's body tensed at the voice behind her. Stiffening, she focused her eyes on the sky, refusing to turn around. 

“You look incredible, Elizabeth. I especially like this purple dress you have on.”

Elizabeth felt his arms wrap around her and she instictively jumped, pulling away before turning to glare at him.

“Keep your filthy hands to yourself, Frederick!” She hissed, before turning back around.

“You seem sour, this evening darling!” Frederick mocked. “Has your lover deserted you?” He asked, coming to stand before her. He rose a brow. “Or has he failed to keep you satisfied? Wait, let me guess...” His eyes lighted up with humor. “Perhaps he is tired of your body?”

She tore her gaze off of him and refocused her eyes on the night sky as her tears welled up in her eyes; Bailey had rejected her body.

“I can't really say I care, darling. I do not care for you or your lover. My only concern lies in my money and seeing as that money is tied to my marriage to you...” He sighed. “Let us make a deal shall we? You will convince my grandfather to give me the money he owes me and I will give you the freedom you desire to play the harlot to all of England.”

Elizabeth clenched her fist, fighting to ignore Frederick.

“Think about it, will you?” He said, before turning to walk away. 

Her body felt frozen as she stood on the spot with tears now making their way down her cheeks. She waited for a few minutes until she was certain she wouldn't run into Frederick, before turning to make her way back into the building. She needed to lie down, she thought as she climbed the stairs. She already felt physically weak and her body was beginning to tremble from fear and anxiety, as well as the night air.

She reached the top of the stairs in time to see Bailey. Her heart stopped at the sight of him. He seemed disheveled but he still looked handsome and for a brief second, she contemplated falling into his arms.

He lifted his head up and their eyes locked. Elizabeth stared at his lips briefly, longing for a kiss. Then, her gaze moved slowly down his body. A few of his buttons were undone and his shirt seemed creased. Her gaze continued to travel the length of him until it came to rest on his hand that rested on a door knob. It took a few seconds, but she finally realized where he was coming from; Chloe's room! He had been in Chloe's room and his buttons were undone! Her heart raced in her chest as she fought the voices in her head. Surely Bailey wasn't...