Chapter Twenty Two

“It was you, wasn't it?” Ellie asked, staring into his eyes.

Bailey stood frozen before her, unable to speak past the lump that was in his throat. They stood staring at each other for a few seconds before Ellie finally nodded.

“You will go to my Father's estate.” She said, turning away from him and walking over to the dresser. She leaned over the dresser for a few minutes before finally straightening. Turning back around, she walked over to where he stood glued to his position and held out a piece of paper to him. “You will ask to see my mother and when she grants you audience, hand this note to her.”

Still, he stood there, not making any move to relieve her of the note. For some strange reason, Bailey couldn't move.

“You will be safe in my parent's house.” Ellie whispered, tears running down her face as she held the note out to him.

She was asking him to leave, she was giving him the option of running away because she understood very well the consequences of his attack on Frederick. Bailey understood it as well. There were many things Frederick could do to Bailey but for some reason, he didn't care.

Bailey knew he couldn't. He couldn't leave her side for even a second knowing that she was in danger of more physical abuse from Frederick.

“I can't, my Lady.” He finally answered.

“I have addressed a note to my mother...”

“I can't leave...”

“She will ensure your safety...” She continued, ignoring his protests.

“I won't leave...” He clenched his jaw, determined.

“...and will see to it that you are well taken care of until...”

“I won't leave!” Bailey half yelled but Elizabeth didn't even pause in her speech. It almost seemed like she couldn't even hear him.

Bailey couldn't leave, not anymore. He walked away from her once, he wasn't going to do it again. He was done being a coward.

“It's the only place you'll be safe. I know Frederick will try to find you but he won't think to look in my parent's estate...”

“Ellie!”

A loud sound followed, halting his flow of words as pain exploded on his face. Reaching up, he placed his hand on his cheek; on the spot where Ellie had slapped him.

Bailey lifted his gaze to her and found her watching him in fury.

“You stood there,” She began, fresh tears running down her face and staining her shirt. “and you let me get married to the wrong person! All of these days, Bailey! You let me get married to the wrong person! You stood there,” She said, pounding her fists angrily against his chest. “And you let me get married to the wrong person!”

Bailey clenched his jaw as the pain of her fists making contact with his chest, spread through his entire body.

Yet, he knew he deserved it. He deserved every blow she had to offer because like she said, it was his fault. He allowed this happen; he allowed it when he could have stopped it. 

“Coward!” She screeched, falling to her knees before him and burying her face in her hands as she wept.

The raw pain he heard in her voice, brought tears to his own eyes. Going to his knees with her, he reached out and pulled her into his arms. He fully expected her to struggle but when she leaned in to him, he heaved a breath of relief.

Pulling his eyelids shut, he savored the feel of her body against his.

“Why?” She whispered against his chest. “Why did you let this happen?”

“There was nothing I could do, Ellie.” He said, tightening his hold around her. “I couldn't stop this, Ellie. I couldn't stop it even if I loved you since the first day I read your letter. Then, I saw you and I fell deeper in love with you. But I am only a butler. I have no power against my employer who chose you as a wife. Yet, everyday I look at you, I fall in love with you all over again. I love you so much,” His voice trembled as he spoke, suddenly unable to hide his feelings any further. “With all my heart, I love you.”

Elizabeth lifted her gaze to him and without another word, she leaned forward and pressed her lips to his.

The second Elizabeth's lips made contact with his, Bailey's lips parted to welcome hers and his eyelids pulled close. He felt excitement race through his veins. He felt his heart rate triple in speed. He felt the world stop spinning and his fear melt away. The room faded around them and fear slipped from his heart.

All he saw was Elizabeth and all he felt was love. 

“You have to leave, Bailey, please.” She whispered against his lips.

He pulled his eyelids open to find her staring up at him. She was so beautiful, he thought as a smile creased his face. Frederick would definitely punish him for what he did but there was nothing Frederick could do about how he felt for Elizabeth.

He touched her face. “Nobody will separate me from you, and that includes you, Ellie.” He grinned.

“Frederick...”

“...will try.” He leaned forward and captured her lips once more. “And I will take every punishment he has to offer. I will stay, and I will take it.” He kissed her again, enjoying the feelings her kiss created in him. “But if I leave and you choose to divorce Frederick, he will accuse you of infidelity, smearing your reputation as well as the reputation of your entire family.” He gently explained.

“I am not bothered.” She insisted.

“But I am. I will stay to defend your reputation and to protect you.”

Elizabeth looked like she was going to argue but simply leaned forward instead and captured his lips. Wrapping his arms around her, he kissed her in return.

“I love you too, Bailey.” She whispered.

And in that second, he realized that she truly did. She loved him inspite of himself, knowing fully well who he was; the fact that he had no title to his name.

While Bailey didn't possess lands nor vessels, silver nor gold, position nor title, he had the only possession he ever desired to have; he had Elizabeth's heart.

And it was all he needed. 

Copyright © 2017 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

*

A/N

Isn't this chapter soo cute?!!!!😱😱 I loved writing this chapter so terribly much and I can't wait for more of Bailey and Ellie!