Chapter Twenty Seven

A frown settled on Gary's face as Chloe settled comfortably on the sofa that sat opposite from Gary's in the parlor.

For a second, he watched her; the woman whose schemes and lies had managed to tear apart his entire family. To say he was displeased about having to accommodate Chloe would have been putting it lightly.

“It's nice to see you again, Lord Wellington.” Chloe plastered a smile on her face.

“If you showed up here simply to examine my features, Lady Chloe, I can assure you that you will have plenty of opportunities to do so at my burial.” He answered dryly.

“I can see that your dislike for me has remained.”

“No, Lady Chloe, on the contrary, it has worsened.”

“I came to see about Frederick.” Her smile disappeared. “Why have you decided to keep him prisoner?”

“Frederick is free to leave even right now. I do not care for you or your son.”

“Your grandson, Lord Wellington.”

“So you claim.” Gary rose to his feet. “Is this all, Lady Chloe?”

Chloe opened her mouth to speak but the words seemed to have died on her lips. Her green eyes traveled the length of Gary, striping him as if in search of something. Gary knew that if he allowed her a closer look at him, she'd notice his illness.

Straightening and trying to appear strong, “Will that be all, Lady Chloe?” He asked, his voice reflecting his impatience.

A smile finally settled on Chloe's face. “For now, Gary,” She beamed, throwing caution to the wind. “For now.”

Rising to her feet, she flashed Gary a final smile before strutting out of the room.

~ ~

Bailey laid in his bed that evening, unable to fall asleep. He still hadn't laid his eyes on Frederick since the night before, yet, his mind plagued him with the possibility that Frederick might not be finished with his punishment especially now that Gary had seen Bailey with Elizabeth. Surely, Frederick would find a way to punish Bailey for kissing his wife!

There was also Elizabeth. Bailey knew he could take anything, but he didn't think he could stand for Elizabeth to be harmed any further.

He heard footsteps approaching and for a while, he laid in bed, frozen. He fully expected it to be Frederick. Perhaps Frederick had decided to show up in the middle of night with everyone sleeping and Bailey wounded, to finish what it was he started on Bailey.

He watched in fear as his door was pushed open, the light from the hallway streaming into his room. The intruder entered the room and slowly closed the door behind before locking it.

Dressed in a white, silk night gown and a white night robe, Elizabeth turned to face him.

“My Lady?” He asked, shocked. He hadn't been expecting her. Was she hurt? He rose to his feet. 

Without a word, Elizabeth covered the distance that stood between them. Wrapping her arms around his neck, she leaned into him and captured his lips. He felt her hands travel up his chest as she worked to unbutton his shirt.

“Ellie...” He whispered against her lips.

With a shake of her head, she released her hold on him and took his arm and led him to the bed. Settling on it, she pulled his arm until he was kneeling before her.

“You should know, Bailey,” She said, leaning close. “that I love you.” She touched his face, the warmth of her breath, tickling his skin. She kissed his lips briefly and wrapped her arms around his neck once more. “You should know,” She whispered breathlessly against his ears as her fingers buried themselves in his brown locks. “that I do not care for the consequences of this act.” She pulled away briefly and stared into his eyes. “Hold me, Bailey.” Her eyes seemed to plead.

Bailey felt everything in his body respond to Elizabeth's presence. He felt his skin burn with desire and he felt himself give in to it.

Rising to his feet, he pulled her up along with him and wrapped his arms around her waist. A small smile creased the corners of her lips as he pulled off her night robe. Leaning down, he pressed his lips to her cold neck as Elizabeth's body leaned further into his and a soft moan escaped her lips. 

He thought of the fact that he was with the woman he loved as he lifted her up in his arms and laid her gently on the bed. Leaning down over her, his gaze traveled every feature of her face; from her breathtaking eyes, to her pointy nose, to her rosy cheeks and finally, came to settle on her lips.

Elizabeth reached out and wrapped her arms around his neck, until his lips was only inches from hers. “Kiss me, Bailey.” She whispered.

Bailey touched her face, her beauty leaving him breathless.

She released her hold on his neck and touched his face as well. He smiled, placing his hand over hers and planting a light kiss on her knuckles. For a second, he tore his gaze off of her face long enough to look at her hand that was trapped in his. And it was then that he saw it; her wedding band. The glaring proof of her marriage to Frederick, the proof that she didn't belong to him. The proof that she might never belong to him.

“I can't. ”He finally said, shaking his head and rising to his feet, afraid that her closeness would weaken his resolve.

“Bailey,” She rose to her feet and touched his arm.

“I can't, My Lady.” He couldn't even look at her.

It would ruin her. She might be unable to fully understand the consequences yet but it would ruin her in the eyes of society. Her family, her reputation... It was one thing for a spinster to grace the bed of other men, but it was worse for a married woman to have an affair with a servant. Especially for a woman who was of the higher class; Elizabeth had a reputation to protect and he couldn't be the one to help stain it.

She touched his face, willing him to look at her.

“I care nothing for the society.” She said, taking a step until she was inches away from his lips. “Don't turn me away. ” Her hands on his bare skin left a burning sensation, making it almost impossible to walk away from her.

Yet, he found himself doing it; walking away from her until he was slamming his bedroom door shut behind him and making his way out the front door with his tears blurring his vision.

Copyright © 2017 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

*

A/N

😥😭