Chapter Eighteen

The sound of the door opening filtered to where she sat on the bed with a book in her hands. Placing the book beside her, Elizabeth lifted her gaze just in time to find Frederick making his way into the room after an entire day of his absence.

Heaving a breath, she shifted to the edge of the bed and planted her feet on the floor. Rising to her feet, she tried her best not to look as nervous as she felt as Frederick began to cover the distance that stood between them.

His eyes held her gaze and while he said nothing, a wave of fear washed over her body.

Was he still upset? Her heart seemed to pound in sync with that question. She knew she had been wrong to push Frederick away and when he tried to be a proper husband to her, she had practically treated him like an assailant.

Frederick came to a halt before her, his gaze moving slowly from her face, down her entire body before moving back up again where he held her gaze. She tried to search his eyes, to read his expression, but she couldn't. She couldn't see past the expressionless look he had on his face.

“Frederick...” She began, in an attempt to break the wall of silence that had built up between them.

“I apologize,” He finally said, reaching forward and taking her hand captive.

He wrapped her hand with his, the warmth of his palm, somehow helping to ease her anxiety. Reaching forward, he touched her face with his free hand.

“I'm so sorry, Elizabeth,” He breathed, taking another step towards her.

Elizabeth felt her heart thump loudly in her chest at his closeness.

“For being inconsiderate. I failed to see how much your parent's betrayal affects you and I apologize for that.” His hand slipped from her face and moved slowly down her neck as he held her gaze. “Perhaps the reason you have chosen to get married to me is to spite your parents for what they did.”

Elizabeth didn't know how to respond to Frederick's accusations for she knew, try as she may to deny it, it was the truth. She hadn't chosen this life of a marriage to Frederick because she loved him, she chose it because she believed she didn't have a choice.

“But I'm only a man, Elizabeth. I might understand your decision but I cannot say I agree with it. Which is why, I think it's best if we have separate rooms. It'll be difficult living in a house and sharing a bed room with a woman who finds my presence repulsive.” He heaved a breath. “I came to apologize and to tell you that I understand your decision, even if I am only but a pawn in your little game.”

Guilt washed over Elizabeth as she listened to Frederick's words, knowing fully well that he was right. And what was worse, he was willing to accept her deceit.

Elizabeth knew what it felt like to be used, lied to and deceived and the longer she stood staring into Frederick's eyes, the more convinced she was that he didn't deserve it.

“Frederick,” She touched his face. “I apologize for being such a terrible wife.”

Frederick shook his head, a tear slipping down his cheek.

Elizabeth reached forward and used the tip of her thumb to wipe his tear. “I'm willing to try, Frederick,” She leaned forward until her face was only inches from his. “I'm willing to try to be your wife,” She touched his chest.

Pulling her eyelids shut, she leaned further in to him and pressed her lips to his.

It was her first kiss and she wasn't even sure she was doing it right but she had told Frederick she was willing to try and that was exactly what she was doing.

Her hands traveled up his chest and wrapped around his neck as she leaned further into him. She felt his hands wrap around her waist, pulling her close until her body was pressed against his. His lips parted to welcome hers as his hands traveled up and down her back.

“You should think about this.” He whispered against her lips.

Elizabeth shook her head, unwilling to think for a second about what it was she was about to do.

“You should stop talking.” She heard her breathless whisper as she reached forward and pulled off his shirt.

“Yes, my lady.” He grinned.

Pulling her against himself, he carried her in his arms and placed her gently on the bed. The second her body touched the bed, Frederick leaned down and pulled her dressed, dragging it up her entire body and over her head.

Elizabeth felt a sudden wave of shame as she laid bare before him and reminding herself that he was her husband didn't do anything to wipe the shame away.

A part of her wanted to scramble to her feet and run. There was a part that warned her that she was making the wrong decision but she shut her mind to that part of her that protested what was about to happen.

Frederick was her husband, right? She thought, as he leaned down and captured her lips. Surely, she wasn't doing anything wrong. They were married by law and by law, it was necessary to yield her body to her husband.

His lips traveled down the length of her body and she closed her eyes, almost in an attempt to block out the feelings it created in her.

Tears filled her eyes for reasons she wasn't even sure about. Holding her eyelids shut for fear that Frederick would notice, she pressed her lips together to keep a sob from coming out.

Her body all of a sudden felt cold as Frederick released his hold on her. Afraid to open her eyes, she laid still on the bed.

“Get out!” Frederick's angry voice rang in the room. Something hit her body. “Get dressed and get out!”

Her body now trembling, she forced her eyelids to part and her eyes immediately rested on Frederick who was pulling his shirt over his body.

“Frederick, I- I'm sorry.” Her lips trembled as she held her gown over her body, shame washing over her.

Without a word, Frederick reached forward and took captive of her arm, yanking her naked body off of the bed.

With a pained yelp, her grip on her gown loosened and it fell to the floor at her feet.

Frederick didn't stop to acknowledge the dress as he continued to pull a now wailing Elizabeth by the arm across the room.

“I'm your husband!” He growled angrily. “Your body belongs to me! But if you will choose to withhold it from me, Elizabeth,” He yelled, reaching the door and pulling it wide open. Ignoring Elizabeth's cries, he shoved her out of the door. “Then I have no use for you!”

Elizabeth watched in horror as Frederick slammed the door in her face, leaving her standing in the hall way, naked.

Copyright © 2017 Lily Orevba All rights reserved

*

A/N

Hey guys! I cannot tell you how many times I attempted to write this chapter. I gave it so many tries but I just couldn't write; first because I have been so sick and second, because I haven't been inspired to write anything. I'm sorry this is coming in late.

What do you think of this chapter? Do leave your thoughts behind and do vote