Chapter Thirty Five

Questions bombarded her mind as she made her way down the stairs with her heart pounding loudly in her chest. What was Bailey doing here? Had he come for his own sake or was he here on an errand for Lord Wellington or perhaps Frederick? She didn't think she had to time to contemplate the answers to those questions as she hurriedly made her way downstairs.

She reached the front porch and forced one foot after the other forward until she was walking down the front stairs and coming to a halt before Bailey who maintained his position beside the carriage.

The soft evening breeze caressed her face as she stared into Bailey's eyes which seemed to sparkle in the darkness. Excitement raced through her veins as she stood before him, realizing only then, that she missed him dearly in the few hours she had been away.

Stilling her pounding heart long enough to speak, she forced a smile. “Bailey,” She breathed. She thought she sounded breathless.

She tore her gaze off of his face to his hands, noticing the fact that his fingers seemed to be twitching. Was he nervous? Or afraid? A frown settled on her face as she thought of him being afraid of something... Or someone. Perhaps Frederick had threatened Bailey? Was he hurt?

Panicking, she reached forward and touched his face. “Are you alright?” She searched his eyes for signs of Frederick's abuse.  

Bailey held her gaze for a few seconds. Then, his face broke into a broad smile. Confused, she opened her mouth to speak, but was silenced by the feel of his arms wrapping around her. He pulled her close until she was leaning against him and her face was only inches from his.

“I'm sorry.” He finally said, the warmth of his breath against her skin, causing a shiver to run down her spine. He placed his hand on her cheek. “I'm sorry I walked away from you,” He leaned forward and she instinctively closed her eyes, expecting him to kiss her. “I'm sorry I let you walk away from me.” He finished.

Her heart beat tripled in speed as she stood before him, wrapped in his arms. Several emotions raced through her veins, filling her with unspeakable joy as she leaned into him.

His hand traveled from her face and made it's way to her neck. “Before I met you, I wasn't exactly afraid of anything” He whispered against her lips. “Until I met you and I became afraid that you would find out who I was...” He sighed. “What I was; a butler. And you'd turn me away. Until I kissed you...” He breathed, withdrawing his hand from her neck. He lifted her hand and her eye lids snapped open just in time to find him staring at her wedding band. “And my greatest fear, became losing you.” He said, his gaze still fixed on her wedding ring. She watched as he slowly began to slip the ring off of her finger. “Until I loved you,” He continued to pull the ring until it reached the tip of her finger. “That was when I decided, that I wasn't going to let my fears get in the way.”

A soft sigh of relief escaped Elizabeth's lips as the ring came off completely. She watched as it slipped out of Bailey's hand and fell to the dust.

“I wasn't going to let anything get in the way,” Bailey lifted his gaze to her. “Until forever.”

Elizabeth felt a tear slip down her face as Bailey reached forward and touched her face one more.

“I love you, Ellie.” He said.

She reached forward and touched his chest, her hand pressed against his heart. Bailey covered her hand with his, his eyes still holding hers.

“You should...” She began.

He nodded, leaning forward. “'Kiss me.'” He whispered, before capturing her lips.

~ ~

“I'm not certain that I like him.” Ethan grumbled, settling on the edge of the bed.