Chapter Twenty Four

Unable to stand on her own two feet, Elizabeth crumbled to her knees before Bailey and pulled his unconscious for lap. She rocked him back and forth as her tears made their way easily down her face.

“I'm so sorry, Bailey.” She whispered against his hair.

Pain exploded in her skull as she was suddenly forced to her feet where she came face to face with Frederick who held her hair captive.

“Enough!”

Frederick released his hold on her hair and she fell to her knees once more, scraping her knees on the ground.

“That is enough, Frederick!” Gary's angry voice filled the air.

Too exhausted to stand, Elizabeth maintained her kneeling position.

“I do not care to hear your excuses! You are utterly despicable and with no shame.” Elizabeth assumed Gary to be making his way towards them because his voice sounded closer with every word he spoke. “Take him away and get him cleaned up.” He said and she felt a hand rest on her shoulder. “Lady Elizabeth,” He whispered in a soothing voice. “I apologize.”

Elizabeth shook her head, fresh tears coming to the surface and making their way down her face as Gary helped her to her feet. She lifted her eyes and for a brief second, they rested on Frederick who appeared to be furious.

“I will ensure that nothing of the sort happens again and if it does,” Gary turned angry eyes to Frederick who didn't bother to acknowledge his grandfather as he made his way to Elizabeth.

Leaning down, “I will never give you a divorce, never.” He whispered in a menacing voice before brushing past her.

Elizabeth felt weakened but Gary still maintained his grip on her.

“I will be sure to deal severely with Frederick.” Gary finished.

“I cannot continue with this marriage, Lord Wellington.” She spoke through trembling lips as she turned fully to Gary. “I cannot remain tied to a monster such as Frederick even if I am very much aware of the consequences of this singular decision.”

Gary observed her, his eyes clouding with emotions.

“Very well,” He nodded. “I should have known not to force an innocent woman into a marriage with my grandson knowing fully well who Frederick is.” He reached forward and touched her face, compassion clouding his brown eyes. “We will treat your bruises and I will prepare the divorce papers.”

~ ~

Gary's feet trembled as he slowly made his way up the stairs that evening.

Frederick was a beast, he thought. He didn't know why the thought surprised him, but it did. He had watched his grandson beat a man to the near point of death, and became fully convinced that there was nothing he could do that would change Frederick.

Engaging and enforcing the marriage between Frederick and Elizabeth had been Gary's greatest mistake and while he understood fully well the implications of severing their marriage, he knew that Elizabeth deserved better and he was obliged to set her free. It had been his doing in the first place; preying on a girl's vulnerability and anger that she felt towards her parents.

He reached the top of the stairs and made his way to Bailey's room. He had to ensure that the butler wouldn't be needing a physician. Pushing the door wide open, the room stood silent and Bailey laid on his chest on the bed.

Gary covered the distance that stood between them and came to a halt by Bailey's bed side. His eyes scanned Bailey's bare back; the blood stains had been cleaned, revealing the extent of his wounds.

And so much more than his wounds, it brought to light something that weakened Gary until he was making his way back down the stairs and out the front door. He ordered for a carriage to be brought, completely ignoring the fact his ill health and how worse he seemed to be getting.

Once settled in the carriage, Gary sat trembling from head to toe as the carriage began moving into town and away from the Wellington estate. Most of all, away from Bailey.

Copyright © 2017 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

*

A/N

First off, please don't complain about the length of this chapter... Lol... I needed for it to stand alone and it unfortunately turned out to be short.

So, what do you guys think? Will Lord Wellington dissolve their marriage? Will Frederick agree to a divorce? Will Bailey survive the assault? Finally, what frightened lord Wellington enough to cause him to leave the estate completely?

Do leave your thoughts behind. Notice also that I have began adding new chapters to UNTIL YOU (If you missed it).

Small reminder to vote...