Chapter Sixteen

“Grandfather?” Frederick called from his position at the entrance of his grandfather's room.

Gary Wellington sat on a settee in his room with a steaming tea cup in his hand.

“What is it, Frederick?” Gary answered dryly.

“A word, grandfather.” Frederick gaze shifted briefly to Bailey who stood quietly beside Gary.

“You have my attention.”

“Very well,” Frederick forced a smile. “Excuse us, Bailey.”

“Nonsense! Bailey's my butler now and only takes orders from me. Whatever you have to say, Frederick, I'm sure you can say it in Bailey's presence.” Gary took another sip of his tea.

Frederick wanted to shove the entire tea cup down the old hag's throat and spit in his face for good measures but he decided against it. Whether he liked it or not, he needed his grandfather.

With his fingers clenching into a fist, he gritted his teeth and nodded his head. 

“It's about Elizabeth.” He began.

“What about her?”

“Well, other than the fact that I do not know how long I will be forced to keep up with this marriage to a completely boring individual who is so absorbed in her grief, she would not perform her wifely duties to me, you have also failed to keep to your own end of the bargain.”

Marrying Elizabeth was the worst decision of Frederick's life. It had only been a week but Frederick was certain that it was only a matter of time before he strangled her in her sleep. Elizabeth spent most of her time weeping and moping around.

Frederick had tried, several times, to pull her out of her depression if only so he could sleep with her, but had continually failed. 

“I am not certain I can continue with this marriage and I would like to request for the money you promised me.” He finished, folding his arms across his chest.

“If this is the attitude I am to expect of you, Frederick, then I am afraid I cannot simply hand my money to you.”

“What?!” Frederick felt rage well up on his insides.

“You're willing to give up in only a week, on a commitment you vowed before me, would last an entire life time. If this will be your attitude towards your father's factory, I cannot waste my money on such a venture.”

Frederick bit back on his lower lips to refrain from swearing.

“Elizabeth is...”

“...your wife!” Gary finished. “Who is going through a hard time and it is your responsibility, as her husband, to see her through it. Now, Frederick, I know you would like for me to simply hand you the answer to your predicament on a platter of gold, but for the life of me, dear grand son, I would like to see you work and be committed to something.” Gary rose to his feet and began ushering Frederick out of the room. He reached the door and pulled it wide open. “Begin with your wife.” He said before slamming the door in Frederick's face.

Frederick stood still for a moment, fighting the urge to storm back into his grandfather's bedroom and yell.

Heaving a frustrated breath, he turned and began making his way to his bed chamber. He pulled the door open and his gaze immediately rested on Elizabeth who sat on the bed with her gaze planted on the sheets.

Frederick scoffed at the sight of the pathetic creature that was his wife, before slamming the door shut.

Elizabeth's gaze lifted to him at the sound of the door closing. As Frederick neared where she sat, he noticed that her face was stained with tears.