Chapter Twenty

Tears welled in her eyes, creating a path down her cheeks and falling to form an increasing large stain on her pillow. Her body curled up into a ball as a shiver ran through her spine. It was impossible to keep the sobs that escaped her lips, in. Fear clung to her, draining her of every hope she thought she had and leaving her hopeless.

Where was the man whose letters made her feel so loved?! Why had she married Frederick? Her mind screamed, cursing her for her foolish decision.

Perhaps she hadn't thought she had any other choice, perhaps her marriage to Frederick had been one born out of necessity and desperation. Yet, it had been the worst decision of her life, for here she laid, homeless and hopeless. A woman deceived by her parents and despised by her husband. She was stuck in a world with no hope, a world full of uncertainty and fear.

With her body still trembling, she climbed down the bed and rose to her shaky feet. For a brief second, her eyes ran over her barely clad body; dressed in nothing but a man's shirt.

Making her way to the wardrobe, she pulled it open and found a trouser. Her gaze ran over it, knowing it wouldn't be her size. Yet, she didn't have a choice. She slipped into the over sized trouser and began making her way out of the room and down the stairs.

The building stood silent with most likely everyone asleep. She made her way into the dark morning, the stinging cold immediately draping her body. For a brief second, she stood, allowing the breeze wash over her, giving her the illusion of peace. The cold morning air was a welcomed contrast to the heated, harsh, hateful feeling of being in the same building with a dreadful man.

She began making her way to the stable where she easily found Blue and led him out. Mounting the horse, she brought it to a run.

As Blue ran, Elizabeth wept. It was impossible to keep her tears or her loud sobs in. The weight of the world seemed to settle on her shoulders, dragging her down until she was being crushed under it. Her heart beat was in sync with the horse's hooves as the made contact with the ground. Sadness racked her entire body until she was haunched over the horse, unable to sit up straight long enough to see where she was headed.

And so she raced all through the night.

When the sun began to peak through the clouds, announcing the presence of a new day, she found herself at the top of a mountain, overlooking the city. Bringing the Horse to a halt, she dismounted. Her entire body felt weak and her legs seemed unable to carry her body weight. She fell to her knees and stretched her body on the grass. Pulling her eyelids shut, she heaved a breath and fell asleep.

*

Something cold touched her head.

Turning to the side, Elizabeth's eyelids parted slightly. With a loud wince, she turned to the side and placed her hands on her eyes to hide it from the stinging sun light.

Where was she?! Her head pounded as she slipped her hands down her face. It took a few seconds for her aching eyes to adjust to the blinding sunlight and when it finally did, her eyes traveled the length of the unfamiliar environment.

For a while, she didn't understand where she was and why she was there. But as she began to feel panic race through her veins, she remembered. Standing before Frederick, kissing him, being dragged by the arm and thrown out of the room stark naked like a mere harlot, being helped by Bailey, running...

The memory flooded her with such intensity, it was nearly impossible to breathe.

Something cold touched her forehead again and she immediately glance up to find Blue looming above her. She gave the animal a forced smile, somewhat grateful that he had helped to awaken her even if from the position of the sun, she knew she had slept nearly the entire day.