Chapter Thirty

Ethan heard light footsteps approaching as he sat alone in the parlor of the Wellington estate. He instinctively rose to his feet at the sight of Elizabeth entering the room. Her eyes came to settle on him and he forced a smile, trying not to cringe at how different she seemed. It had only been two months since she left, yet, she looked like a complete stranger. Her silver eyes seemed to have lost it's glimmer, appearing less silver and more whitish and sad. Her pink dress with lace fringes, did nothing to compliment her once full figure.

“Elizabeth.” Ethan began, barely able to find the right words. He had journeyed from his home that morning in a bid to fulfill his promise to Gretchen the night before. Yet, he had fully been expecting Elizabeth to refuse to see him. Now that she was standing before him, he was lost for words.

She stood before him, her hands clutched before her. “I wasn't expecting to see you.”

“I came to see how you are faring.” He said, still observing her. “How are you doing, Elizabeth.”

Elizabeth shuffled her feet and lowered her gaze to the floor. It was then, as Ethan observed her fully, did he realize that something was certainly wrong and Gretchen had been right. With a sigh, he covered the distance that stood between them and pulled her into his embrace. Her hands wrapped around his waist and he felt her body tremble against him as she sobbed in his arms.

“Sweetheart,” He whispered against her hair, wanting to gather her in his arms. Leaning down, he planted a kiss on her head. “I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything.”

Elizabeth tightened her hold around him and leaned further into his embrace.

“Gretchen wanted me to tell you the truth.” He said, pulling slightly away. He stared down at her red eyes. “She wanted you to know about your mother.”

She shook her head and wiped her face with her sleeves. “Perhaps another time, father.” She sighed and wrapped her arms around him once more, burying her face in his chest. “Right now, I just want to go home.”

Ethan held her close. “Alright, Elizabeth, let's go home.”

~ ~

The sudden knock on the front door, caused Gina to lose focus enough for the knife she was using to slice the vegetables she planned on using for her dinner, to leave a deep cut in her thumb. She winced, the sight of blood, leaving her nauseous.

The knock sounded again and she turned her annoyed gaze to the door. She dipped her throbbing finger in a bowl of water and watched as her blood turned the water a light red color. Removing her thumb from the bowl, she put it in her mouth and began sucking on it as she made her way to the front door, hating the taste of blood, yet, knowing she didn't exactly have a choice. There were no first aid materials in the house since she ran out a few months ago; an oversight she highly regretted.

She pulled the door open and was immediately greeted by the sight of an unfamiliar man. Briefly, she studied him; brown straight hair, blue eyes and a moustache. He towered over her and was dressed in what looked like an expensive suit.

“Pardon my intrusion, Mrs. Robinson,” He began, bowing his head slightly. “My name is Mr. George Stanley and I'm here on behalf of your son's employer, Lord Wellington.”

Gina frowned, removing her thumb from her mouth and trying not to wince yet again at the pain. “Is Bailey alright?”

The man nodded. “May I please come in?”

“Forgive my forwardness, mister, but I cannot possibly let a stranger into my house.”

“I understand this, Mrs. Robinson...”

“Yet you insist on coming in.” She eyed him suspiciously, the frown maintaining its position on her face. “Is Bailey in trouble with Lord Wellington?” He shook his head. Folding her arms across her chest, she maintained her position by the doorway. “What is it you want?”

“I need to ask you some questions.” She rose a brow. He sighed deeply. “It's about your son, Bailey. I need for you to tell me who his father is. Especially because, Mrs. Robinson, there is no record of your marriage to a Mr. Robinson and, your son's paternity has become of high concerns to his employer.” George finished, making his way past her and into the building.

Stunned and unable to speak, Gina stood frozen on the spot.

“Shall we begin, Miss Smith?”

Copyright © 2017 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.