Chapter Twenty Three

Elizabeth reluctantly made her way out of Bailey's room that evening, afraid that Frederick would find her there.

The revelation of the fact that Frederick had lied and deceived her into getting married to him and had gone ahead to seduce her best friend, was so infuriating, she considered leaving the Wellington estate that evening. Yet, she knew she couldn't just leave especially because she knew Frederick wouldn't just hand her a divorce on a platter of gold. And what was worse, Frederick could manipulate things through his grandfather who was unfortunately a judge.

Then there was Bailey. The butler had put his life in danger to save hers and she knew she couldn't walk away knowing he was at risk.  

A part of Elizabeth was devastated to think that she was trapped in a marriage to a man who turned out to be a beast. But, there was a part of her that was excited to find that Frederick hadn't been the author of those letters. She was happy to know that she hadn't misjudged the author, she had misjudged Frederick and soon enough, she would be rid of him.

She came to a halt before Frederick's room and pulled her eyelids shut for a brief second as a tired breath escaped her lips. Straightening, she pushed the closed door before her open.

Her gaze searched the room briefly. When she found that Frederick was no longer on the spot she had left him in that evening, she knew he was awake. Lifting her gaze to the bed, she found him sitting there with his hands clasped before him and his eyes fixed on her. 

Without a word, she cautiously began making her way into the room.

Frederick rose to his feet and she paused. “It would seem that the seemingly gentle, innocent,” He spat sarcastically. “Lady Elizabeth Wellington,” He said as he began slowly making his way towards her. “Has chosen to withhold her body from her husband because,” He came to a halt before her and as her gaze scanned his face, she saw clearly the damage Bailey had done to it.

There was a deep cut on Frederick's forehead. His nose seemed broken, his eyes were swollen and his lips were bruised.

“She is having an affair with my butler!” He laughed but it sounded more like a growl to Elizabeth.

Frederick lifted his hand and touched her cheek. She felt his hand travel slowly down her cheek and to her neck. Unwilling to be intimidated by him, she matched his stance.

The nerves on this bastard, she thought as she stood before him with her fingers balled into a fist. Not only was a dirty, cheating animal, he was dillusional as well.

“Is that so, Elizabeth, are you a harlot?” He asked, his brow raised as his hand continued to caress her neck. “Do you find pleasure in the arms of servants? Can you imagine with me, just for a brief second, what will be said when the news travel the length and breadth of England, that the daughter of Lord and Lady Williams is nothing but a harlot?”

“I do not care for your rubbish, Frederick!” She spat, gritting her teeth. “You must have gone mad to think that I would choose to remain married to you simply because you would prove to be nothing but a busybody.”

Frederick forced a smile. “Then you would deny this? You would deny your attraction to my butler?”

“I want a divorce, Frederick!”

“You would deny being in love with my butler?! You would deny warming the bed of a servant and neglecting your duties...”

Furious, she lifted her hand and made to hit him across the face but he grabbed her wrist.

“...to your husband?” He hissed, holding her wrist captive.

“I deny nothing but the fact that you are guilty of everything you shamelessly stand here and accuse me of!” She spat, struggling against his hold on her wrist but he was stronger. “You of all people would know a thing or two about prostitution especially seeing as you have chosen to prostitute yourself to Caitlin!”

Frederick clenched his jaw and his eyes darkened. For a second, Elizabeth was certain he would hit her again and she immediately braced herself for it. But, to her surprise, a smile settled on his face; a sinister smile and a cold shiver immediately ran down her spine.

Releasing his hold on her wrist, “Very well.” He whispered, before walking past her.

Elizabeth stood frozen on the spot as she heard the door slam shut behind her. With Frederick gone, the last thing she felt was relief but she didn't bother to go after him.

She made her way to the bed and sat there for a few minutes. Then, she heard it.

Scrambling to her feet, she raced to the balcony and glanced down.

Standing there, just outside the house, was Frederick. Elizabeth couldn't see the expression on his face due to the darkness but she knew he was smiling. She tore her eyes off of him long enough to find Bailey standing a little distance behind Frederick with his hands tied before him and a handful of servants sorrounding him.

Elizabeth felt her entire inside melt as she forced herself to listen long enough to actually hear Frederick's words.

“...lifted a fist to his master. It would be cruel of me to overlook this act of rebellion. Which is why I have summoned you all here tonight.” Frederick said as he took off his belt.

Without stopping to think for a second, Elizabeth raced out of the bedroom door, down the hall, down the stairs and out the front door. She ran down the front stairs, tears now blurring her vision.

“Knees!” Frederick yelled, ignoring her.

She watched helplessly as Bailey fell to his knees in the dust.

“This is a lesson to you all...” Frederick was saying but Elizabeth's attention had turned fully to Bailey.

She watched as Bailey lifted his head up and their eyes immediately locked.

“...knowing your boundaries...” Frederick called, his voice rising to the dark skies above as he made his way behind Bailey.

Elizabeth tore her eyes from Frederick and back to Bailey who knelt there with his eyes still on her.

Frederick reached down and ripped Bailey's shirt off.

Horrified, Elizabeth made to take a step forward but Bailey shook his head, stopping her and while he didn't utter a word, his eyes seemed to be ordering her to stand down.

The sound of Frederick's belt as it cut through the air and landed on Bailey's skin, echoed in the darkness, knocking the air out of Elizabeth's lungs. She heard the sound of Bailey's flesh breaking and she immediately knew that Frederick was using the part of the belt with the metal buckle.

It would have been impossible to stand on her own two feet that now felt like jelly if Bailey's eyes weren't still holding hers. Even in pain, his eyes seemed to be encouraging her and she drew strength from them.

Elizabeth stood there, her eyes locked with Bailey's. She heard clearly the sound of every whip that landed on Bailey's skin but she didn't tear her gaze off of his brown eyes long enough to see the damage Frederick was causing.

Frederick continued his assault on Bailey for what seemed like a decade until Bailey could no longer maintain his kneeling position or even keep his eyes open long enough to encourage Elizabeth. She watched helplessly as Bailey's eyelids, now filled with tears, pulled shut and he fell facedown in the dust.  

And in that second, Elizabeth's world stopped spinning.

Copyright © 2017 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

*

Small reminder to please vote. What are your thoughts on this chapter?