Pick A Side

Mackenzie's POV

Breathe Kenz. Just open the door and run up to your room. They probably won't even hear you. After all, all they do is scream at each other. I could almost hear it already.

I slowly place my hand on the door nob and twist it. I open it just big enough for my body to slide in. My foot slips and I made a loud noise, I hold my breath hoping they didn't here.

"Kenzie? Is that you." Shit.

Why aren't they fighting? I look over to the next room and saw them just glaring at each other. They just sat across from each other. You could probably feel the tension from miles away.

"Have you made up your mind?" Kurt, my father asks me, breaking the contact with my mother.

"I haven't really given it much thought." I say.

"Why not?" He raises his voice.

"I-I just don't want to think about it! You don't know how hard it is to hear you fight everyday! I keep wishing that you will stop and then you do. You're divorcing someone you promised to love. I can't pick." I get teary eye, and blink the tears away.

"Go to your room. Make up your mind. You have 24 hours." He sits up from his seat and stomps out, not forgetting to slam the door.

"Kenz, it's fine if you want to go with him." My mom looks into my eyes.

"I'll be in my room." Breaking the eye contact, I run up the stairs, pass Maddie's old room and into mine.

Maddie got lucky. She got to leave as soon as they started fighting. Dad promised to pay for Maddie's college tuition but if I didn't go with him, I was with mom.

She didn't look back. She just left. She took the deal. Didn't even blink. What a sister, am I right.

I slide down against the door, curled into a ball, and cried for the fifth time today.

My life was a wreck. Yet, I managed to make everybody that still care believe that everything was fine. That I was living the wonderland life.

But I wasn't.
____________________________________

"Goodbye sweetheart!" My mom yells.

I groan. It was only 4 in the morning, but my mom already had to leave. I'm not a heavy sleeper. It didn't bother me though, I needed to hear those words when I wake up.

I stay in bed for another thirty minutes, just thinking about my schedule today and my choice. Then, I swing my legs off my bed and slowly get off. And by slowly, I meant very slowly. Like a sloth.

I walk in my bathroom and started to brush my teeth, take a shower, and put on some makeup. Nothing heavy, just enough so no one could see my dark circles.

Then I picked some black ripped jeans, a shirt that says "Girls Bite Back", and a bomber jacket. Usually, I would go over to Maddie's room to make her do my hair but since she was gone, I did my own. Which were just two simple dutch braids.

I felt my butt vibrate as I was going down the stairs. And before you ask, no, it wasn't Maddie. It was Lauren.

Phone Conversation

Lauren- Hey Kenz!

Kenzie- Hi Laur, just got up?

(I grab my pre-packed lunch and water bottle from yesterday and head out the door.)

Lauren- yeah. I'm guessin that you been up for two hours, per usual.

Kenzie- how'd you guess? (I chuckle) be there in 10.

Lauren- great.

(She mutters something and hangs up.)

End of Phone Conversation

I grab the mail on the way out, casually checking it as I drive. I pull up on the Orlando's driveway and thought about honking the horn, but that would just be disruptive. And that's why I did it. 👍

Lauren's bathroom window opens and you could she her annoyed face.

"Really?!" She yells down to me.

I smirk. The Orlando's are close friends of my family. That's why they are the only one's who know about my parents recent divorce.

The good thing is that they aren't like any other families. They don't act sympathetic around me or try to make me feel good. They act like more of a family to me than my family ever has been.

Lauren and Johnny are like my siblings. Meredith always let me stay over whenever I want and I've stayed over a lot recently.

I shove the mail into a small containment in the car and open the door, running up to their house.

"Hi Mrs and Mr Orlando! I'll be upstairs." I greet them.

"Hello Mackenzie, there is breakfast if you're hungry." They offer me.

"No thank you." I pass the offer and run up the stairs.

The Orlando's are like a big perfect family. The have a pretty nice house, nice parents, and the siblings don't fight a lot. I lied, they always fight. You can hear Darian and Maddie (Orlando) fighting over the bacon.

"Hey Kenz, whatcha thinking about?" Johnny snaps me out of my thoughts.

"Nothing."

"Have you made your decision yet?" I follow him into his room and sit on his bed.

Turning the other way while he changed, I sigh.

"Yeah. I'm staying with my mom. I can't leave my home and you guys. Besides, Greg is treating me more of father than Kurt ever could." I groan.

"Well it's nice to know that you'll be sticking around for a while longer. But I do don't doubt that you will probably catch the first plane put of here as soon as you graduate." He sits beside me.

"Can't argue bout that." I laugh.

One of the reasons why it's easier to fake smile around my friends is because sometimes it isn't fake. They make me forget about my troubles and make my feel safe.

"Okay love bugs, I'm done. I'm gonna grab some bacon and we can go." Lauren interrupts.

I roll me eyes and stand up, Johnny following behind me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I hope you like it so far! It's really hard for me to write sad stuff so that's why it seems a little cheesy😹 Seeeyyaaaaaa

NOT EDITED