Drunk Nights

Maddie's POV

"I thought you said mom won't be home til later." I whisper quietly.

"She isn't supposed to be home. She gets off at 10 and it takes 30 minutes to get from her work to here." Mackenzie trembles.

I pull her into a hug and grab the baseball bat from earlier.

"MACKENZIE!"

We both stared at each other. It was Kurt, our dad.

"What is he doing here?" I hiss.

Mackenzie shrugs slightly and slides off the bed.

"What are you doing?" I ask her.

"He'll get mad if I don't go down. Stay here." She says without emotion.

I just nod in hesitation. I didn't want to mess up anything. She takes a few slow steps and then picks up the pace. I could hear her footsteps fading.

"Yes..dad." Her voice echoes.

"Don't 'yes dad' me! I don't need any of that crap!"

"Did you make up your mind?"

"Ye-yes." She stutters.

With the baseball still in hand, I walk closer to her bedroom door to get a better look of things. If he makes one move, I'll spat him.

"Well don't just stand there, you idiot! I'm waiting for and answer!" He yells and Mackenzie takes a step back.

"Yo-you're drunk." She takes a few more steps backwards, as if she knew something was going to happen.

"DO I LOOK LIKE I CARE? GIVE ME AN ANSWER FRANCES."

I could see the light reflecting of her glossy eyes. She gulps and opens her mouth.

"M-mom. I choose mom."

SLAP

My hand immediately goes over my mouth. He just slapped my sister. Her hand slowly goes her cheek as tears fall from her eyes.

"You were never good at making decisions." He mutters.

"What is going on here?!" I turn my head towards the door and saw my mom standing there.

I didn't even notice that she came in. He eyes flickered from Kurt to my sister, Kenzie.

"GET OUT! We agreed that you are no longer welcome! You don't need anything!" She yells.

"See you in court on Monday." He smirks and shuts the door.

Mack runs over to mom and cries her eyes out, while mom just rubs her back. I run down the stairs and join in on the family hug.

"Maddie? What are you doing here?"

"I came back for break." I sniffle.

I never realized how hard it was on Kenzie until I saw what happened. I left without a reason, a goodby, I didn't even hesitate.

Kenzie crumbles to the ground. We were all crying, for different reasons.

Mom was probably crying for thinking she was a bad mother. For losing her husband. For always leaving for work.

Kenzie was crying from being scared, heartbroken, scarred. She wouldn't stop crying. Her world was upside down and I wasn't here to be by her side.
__________________________________

Mackenzie's POV

"Girls, get up."

"Mommmm." I groan.

"Girls...it's 12." She shakes our shoulders slightly.

"No it's not. You would be at work." I remark and grab a handful of blanket.

"I'm taking a day off. Maddie. Tell your sister to wake up."

"No can do. I wake up very early for college, I need my rest mom." She pulls all the blanket to her side.

I sigh and try to pry the blankets off her body. Maddie and I slept in the same room, after last night...we all needed company. Of course there was no room for mom, so she slept on a air mattress on my floor.

"Maddie! Give it backkkkk! I'm cold..." I whine.

We start to have a mini fight over the blanket, until our mom takes it away from us.

"HEY!" We say at the same time.

"Get up. Get dressed. Eat breakfast. I have a surprise." Mom smirks and drags my blanket with her.

I curl in a ball to get warm, which didn't help.

"You're stupid. And mom's right. It's twelve. GET UP!" She pushes me off my bed.

I sent her a glare and headed to my bathroom, while she went to her room.

{Line Break}

"OHHHHH! WHAT SMELLS GOOD!" Maddie sniffs the air and smiles.

"I made pancakes." Mom grins.

My mouth starts to water. Pancake, eggs, and bacon were displayed on out table.

"Kenz, stop staring and eat." Maddie shoves a piece of pancake down her throat.

"Um nah it's fine. I'm not hungry." I pass the offer, still eyeing the bacon.

"No. You are eating. You can't starve yourself Kenzie." Mom hands me a plate.

"What do you mean?" I ask her, picking at the eggs.

"Don't play dumb, I know you have been starving yourself. I've been checking up on you. You're not fat Kenzie. Now eat."

I wanted to resist but I couldn't. 1) there was a plate of breakfast heaven in front of me and 2) I was starving.

I started to chew the eggs and then before you knew it, I was shoving pancakes down my throat as well.

"Hmm! This is so good mom!" Maddie sticks out her tongue and asks for seconds.

"Fine. But eat fast. We're going to DISNEYLAND!"