chapter 16

Song: bea miller - warmer

A maid was standing waiting for them at the front of the house. She wore a black dress with simple 3/4 length sleeves and a white apron. Her clothes where neatly pressed and her raven hair was pinned into a tidy bun on the top of her head.

Her smile was warm and inviting. Katherines feet seemed to speed up at the sight of her.

"Katherine welcome home we have missed you so much" elenas arms opened wide and she embraced katherine in a warm hug.

She couldnt help but smile at the woman who was like a mother too her when she lived here.

"I wouldn't call it home elena but its close enough" she grinned trying to wiggle out of elenas hold.

"Sorry hun am i sqeezing you too hard?" Elena chuckled lightly letting go of katherine. Her eyes roamed her up and down and concern spread quickly across her face.

"My god child how thin are you and your skin is so grey. What has happened? Are you ill?" Her questions startled katherine most peoole didnt notice but elena was lile a hawk she paid attention to details.

She shook her head "no no i was a little ill last week with a stomach bug so i havent eaten much and have been a little under the weather although im feeling much better now"

Katherine was supprised at how fast the lie came to her and how easily it rolled of her tounge. 

Elenas face shifted and her warm smile was back. She looked down at ella and her eyes widened.

"Oh katherine she looks just like him." She gushed grabbing ella in for a hug too. Which ella was more than happy to return. "How could you keep this little one a secret?"

Katherine felt guilt trickle through her for a second realizing she kept such an important woman from her baby. Elena had a little girl herself she loved children and treated katherine as her own.

"Im sorry elena its just that the way things ended with james i didmt want to be anywhere near this house." She felt her eyes tear up but remembered ella was still there so quickly smiled and wiped her eyes dry.

Elena looked at her with a look in her eyes full of pain and sadness. "Katherine i hope things between you two improve.  You were so in love and  when you left the house was in shambles. He hasn't looked at a woman or entertained the idea of another relationship. He is still in love. Wether you are or not is another story." Her eyes looked at katherines expectantly and it seemed like katherine wore her heart on her sleeve her eyes lightened and she smiled at katherine. "Im sure you two will work out. Now come its time for you two to settle in."

Elena lifted ella up and walked into the house.

The house was just as katherine remembered. Modern light and open planned. The stairs where marble and the walls an off white colour to compliment the stairs. There was a cabinet in the hallway katherine stopped to look at it. Her eyes widened in shock when she saw it was exactly how she had left it. She bought it in an antique store in a small town on the way back from thier honeymoon. She fell in love with the decorative details laced all over it. There where little hearts on the shelves and little swirls inside of each heart. James thought it was too feminine but katherine had argued he got to choose the sofa and bedroom she wanted to give the house a feminine touch. So james agreed. When it was delivered a few days later katherine spent all day trying to find the perfect place for it. After hours she decided the main hallway was perfect everyone would see it as they walked through the front door. She wanted to display something beautiful on it so she put pictures of her and james together. Wedding photos and photos with thier families.

She couldnt believe james had kept all thier photos up. Even the selfies she snapped of him nuzzleing her neck and her smiling. It stood tall on the third shelf.

It warmed her heart a little at the thought that maube he was really sincere when he said he still loved her.

She heard elena talking to ella and ellas giggling upstairs so katherine hurried to keep uo with them.

When she found them ella was standing in the middle of a pink room looking around. Here eyes wide and her face bright.

The room was a baby pink colour and had a giant queen sized bed in the middle. There was a corner full of the newest toys and a walk in wardrobe full of beautiful dresses and outfits. Her shoes had their own wall there where that many.

"I think ella will be happy to play here whilst we show you to your room"  elena smiled over to katherine and they walked out.

"It has been arranged that you sleeo in your old room katherine" elena spoke slowly unsure of katherines response.

Katherine wasnt sure thats what she wanted but she nodded if she got ti thier room and thought she didnt ljke it there were pleanty of guest rooms for her to stay in.

Elena lead the way although katherine knew where she was going.
As the door to her and james's bedroom came into sight she felt little butterflys appear in her stomach. She was nervous.

Elena opened the door and katherine couldnt help but gasp. The room had been repainted the coulor she had picked out before leaving. She had the paint bought but never got round to getting the walls painted. The dresser in the corner still had all her makeup on it. Her jewellery still sat on the bedside locker which was once hers.

A pair of her heels still sat at the end of her bed. It felt strange. Like she was in the past. Just as she had left it her things where exactly im the same place.

"He wouldnt let me clean them. He did it himself." Elenas voice behind her startled her.

"What?" Katherine was beyond shocked.

"Yes its true and the wardrobe is exactly the same too" katherine was speechless

"I know its strange but i couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. I kept clinging on to the hope i would get you back someday"

She turned to the door when she heard james husky voice.

She was leaning against the frame hands in his pocket looking straight at her.

"I dont think its strange james although i feel bad that you didnt feel you could remove my things" she felt guilty. What would happen when... she was gone

Would he keep her stuff in the room. Lock it up. Move on?

Hey guys well what do you think??

Hope this chapter was ok a little early but its here