chapter 18

Katherines body felt numb. She didnt remember how but she did know she was in the hospital.

She could hear shouting from the hallway but only certain words where audible from behind the wooden door. 

"No", "it cant be right" and "cancer" stood out among the thunderous roars.

Then she realised just what had happened and who was behind that door. This wasn't  supposed to happen she was supposed to die without them all knowing now that didn't seem possible.

The door rattled and james voice sounded thunderous from behind and katherine felt a wave of fear take over what would he say?does he hate her?

The handle of the door turned and in walked doctor sharky. His face was solemn and she could already sense what he was about to say.

"Im not going to have much longer am i" when she cut him up it wasnt a question it was a statement she already knew the answer.

He shook his head. No.

"James knows doesnt he" again katherine wasnt asking

He nodded

"Send him in then. I guess i have some explaining to do"

Doctor sharkey simply nodded giving her a half smile. He understood he had seen the cancer eat her from the inside. He understood why she didn't tell her husband it can be hard for loved ones to watch a patients health decline and at the speed of katherines deterioration especially difficult.

He understood why but it didnt mean it was the right thing to do. James needed to know he had a right after all when katherine passes he will be left to parent a child by himself. Would he be able to handel it?

James had been angry when he had spoken to the doctor. But he didnt expect much less he was in pain. The sudden thought of loosing a woman he loved would obviously tare him up.

When doctor sharky stepped back into the hall james was on the hard wooden seats provided for visitors
His head betwee  his knees and his hands working themselves through his hair. He was a broken man that he was certain of.

James raised his head at the sound of footsteps.

"She wants to talk to you" doctor sharky spoke to james in a calm caring voice. James suspected it was symathy but he didnt want nor de he need this asswholes sympathy.

Here before him stood a man who was letting his wife die. A man who should be stuffing her full of pills. Drilling them full of hope and powering through like there was at least a glimour of hope for katherine instead he threw in the towel he walked away with the final diagnostic being death.

No. That wasnt ok. Because that would mean he would be alone again. And he just got katherine back.

James stood up nodding before slowly inching himself towards this so called doctor. He got uo close to his face before murmuring five words "this is for my wife" he drew his fist back and  let it hurl back into doctor sharkys face.

He walked towards katherines room leaving doctor sharky standing holding his jaw.

Katherine didn't know what to say to james but the truth sounded like a good place to start. She lay in the bed dreading to see the look on his face as he entered the room.

The door opened and she refused to look up into his cold calculating eyes

She refused to look at him even ad he stood by her bed. It was when he cleared his voice cutting the leangthy silence short that she raised her head.

She wished she hadnt.

His eyes were dull and watery. His hair tousled in an unruly mess. His face just mirrored how she felt. Defeated, Heartbroken and an emotional wreck.

"Im sorry" she finally spit it out

His eyes widened a little "why? You dont need to be sorry"

"Im sorry i cant give you what you need" she whispered the lump in her throat making it hard to speak.

James crossed his arms "and what is it you think i need katherine?" His question supprised katherine she thought it was an obvious answer but if she needed to spell it out she would.

"Love james. I cant give you a steady relationship one with a future. I cant give you anymore children. And i cant be there for you and ella." The tears started running down her face and she felt james use his thumb to wipe away the tear on her right cheek.

"Katherine. I love you. If i could change it so i was the one in your position i would in a heartbeat"

"But you cant" her sob cut him off

"I know but i wouldnt have our relationship any other way. You make me happy. And i hope you are happy too. I would rather have you in my life however long that may be than loose you now because you thought it was best for me. Ella and i habe eachother. Say your goodbyes she knows you love her. Hell katherine make a damned bucket list. I will make every thing on it come true. I want you to leave me happy and in peace not torn up and worried. This is your time and wether you think it best or not im going to be there with you. Im annoyed you didnt feel you could tell me but i will support you." His soothing voice reassured katherine and she felt the tightness in her chest release. A weight lift of her shoulders.

She knew she should have told james but she couldnt find the words and now she had had the conversation however brief she was reassured james would be ok.

He kissed her passionately.  Its was soft and gentle. It didnt last long but it didnt have to. That kiss held the words they had left umspoken.

A knock on the door diverted thier attention pulling them back to the sad reality as elena walked in carrying a tear stained faced ella.

"Mommy are you sick?"

Authors note ..

Sorry for the supepr late chapter hoepefully the wait was worth it xx

Any thoughts?