chapter 21

The next few days went slowly. James found himself lost in the ocean of his own thoughts more than once his mind initiating its own survival mode. Think of anything and everything but katherine.

So instead he sat at his desk on his laptop. The browser open and internet search bar filled. Filled with questions. Questions he didnt know the answers too. Questions he never had the courage to ask anyone. Questions he asked himself on a daily basis.

The first thing he typed in was on friday night. Ella was in bed sleeping and he was alone. What do fish drink?

The google page was filled with results and he found his answer

'Fish dont drink water it is absorbed through thier scales and gills'

He asked the web on saturday are chickens dinasoaurs?

The results he got were fascinating

'Chickens are descendants of dinasoaurs. Specifically the t-rex. The protein complex has been scientifically proven to be similar"

He spent the next few weeks asking questions. And always got his answer.

At the start elena thought he was missing katherine and didnt know what to do with himself but after two weeks it didnt seem a  likely reason. Then she considered maybe he was asking these thigs because he genuinely wated to know maybe research for the buisness. But after a month the facial hair that was once stubnle was out of control and elena had come face to face with the real reason. His browser history left open and in a fit of worry she couldnt not look.

"How to cure cancer" the most recent search.

She shook her head tears lining her eyes "this man needs to look after himself" she whispered to herself. She had only ever seen him this torn one other time. It went on for months. The day katherine left. Now she was to leave again.

Elena went to bed with a heavy heart. Worried for a man who she cared for like a son and heartbroken over a fate chosen for a woman who was worth more than gold to her.

When elena woke up the next morning she was supprised to find james awake already. For the first time in over a month he was up early freshly shaved and dressed in an armani suit matched with a pair of leather shoes. She was even more supprised when he smiled at her brightly and enveloped her in his big arms. The strong scent of his personally made cologne was more than welcome.

He sat with ella and ate his breakfast and elena could tell she wasnt the only one who was happy to see james up and out of bed early. Ellas smile was bright and cheerful this morning and she was especially chatty. Talking about what she was learing at school and what her freinds talked to her about.

Elena felt the worry lift of her shoulders maybe james would be ok.

"Right then i must get to work i have a mountain of parpers waiting for me and a special appointment at half nine" james smiled giving ella a kiss on the cheek and waving goodbye to elena as he grabbed his brief case and hurried out to his car.

Elena let herself sink into the dining room chair and relax as ella finished her breakfast. She couldnt help the feeling that james was up to something.

James sat in the meeting room opposite five people each well trained doctors, specialists who charge alot of money. There where 9 scientists in the room each with thier own research to present. James all he had was his money which he was well aware off. He couldnt give life changing surgery to make katherine better he couldnt develop.a cure but he had money. To fund the development of the cure.

It had to work. It had to.

Three of the scientist sat squabbling woth each other over some theory the ohms law perhaps? No that was physics.

"Guys shut the fuck up" james finally interrupt the bickering impatient and fully aware that they are wasting time

"You idiots call yourself smart. Geniuses and specialists. Well you must be fucking special needs because people fork money into charities trying to find a cure for this bitch of an illness and you twits are no further forward in finding the treatment. So we are all here to work together ti dind a cure and im willing to pay millions for one just to keep my beautiful wife breathing so you fuckfruits better not fuck this shit up because if you do i will ruin you all." They sat staring at james some paled some opened their mouths as if they had something to say but seeing the death glare james wore decided against arguing

"Now you have two days so get to it" with the announcement james stood and walked out he had somewhere to be.

The hospital was quiet visiting hours hadnt started yet but james caused so much of a fuss the nurses relented and gave him access to katherines room 24/7.

As he walked into the room his heart clenched, katherines skin had lost the glow it once had. She was thinner than before bones where becoming more visible. Her hair an unruly mess  from the lack of care and her arms had tubes and wires comming out and going to various machines. James made a point to visit once a day but that didnt make seeing katherines body deteriorate any easier. It felt like each time she looked worse than the last.

He pulled up the chair resting against the wall and sat beside katherine holding her hand in between his.

"Hi baby i contacted some people and they are gonna make you better. Ella is getting more like you every day she said her friend bianca was rude to her so she told her that you said to say she was a troll anyway. Then i got a phine call from the school because the girl hit ella and ella hit her back and pinned her to the ground. She might only be turning 6 in a few weeks but she is a fire cracker. I miss you baby. I miss your smile and your laugh i know you can hear me... i hope you can hear me. Wake up soon. I love you"

James sat the rest of the evening holding her had hoping and willing katherine to wake up

Authors note

I hope he finds a cure i was crying at the end writing this 😭 this story line of cancer hits home to alot of people some close freinds of mine have been lost to cancer i hope none of you feel like im making fun of the ilness believe me i wouldnt ever do that..

I hope you like the story so far let me knkw what you think xxxx