Chapter 21

I blankly stare at the team colored, logo, and circular lunch table top as I move my fork around in my fruit. I place the side of my head on my hand, continuing to play with my fruit like a little kid.

            I haven’t been able to sleep or eat much since the whole incident with my mom. I’ve lost weight, and I’m scared I’m about to be underweight soon, but I don’t feel like doing anything anymore. I’ll still excel in my academics and sports, because I know they’re important to me. It’s been hard not feeling Aiden’s touch, but my mom literally has been on my butt for two weeks.

            She won’t let me drive my mustang, so she picks me and Michael up from school or sports now. I won’t speak to her at all; I make Michael sit up front with her.

            Aiden and I of course can talk at school or softball, but we never get time alone, and that sucks more than anything. I can’t text or call her, unless I’m at my dad’s house then I can talk on the house phone. Sometimes I’ll sneak in a call from Michael’s phone or the house phone. But today she’s with her dad at the hospital, because he’s having surgery done. So I’m all alone today.

            “Kadence.”

            I look up from my plastic bowl filled with fruit at Lauren. I raise my eyebrows up waiting for her to say something.

            “Are you okay? You’ve looked unhealthy for the past two weeks.” She says.

            Hannah shoots her a look to shut up, but I decide to talk to her back.

            “No, I’m not okay. My mom is being a prick.” I sigh, and stick a piece of strawberry in my fork then I take a bite. I chew and swallow it, but only to feel sick afterwards. I move my fork out of the bowl, and cover it back up with the lid. I push it away from my face.

            “What happened with your mom anyways?” Terry asks.

            “Just some crap.”

            “About what?”

            “Guys, if she doesn’t want to tell us then don’t push her into telling us. It’s her business, not ours.” Hannah says after chewing on her salad. “She’s obviously not feeling well, so by pushing her will make it worse.”

            I did tell Hannah about the whole situation, and thankfully she butted in telling everyone to butt out of my business. She looks at me with a re-assuring smile.

            “Okay, sorry Kadence.” Everyone says.

            “It’s fine. I’m going to go upstairs before the bell rings. I think I’m going to be sick.” I put my food in my lunch box, and get up walking away from the table of my friends.

            “Is she pregnant or something?” One of my friends asks in hearing distance.

            I roll my eyes then hear Hannah say something: “No, leave her alone. We all know she wouldn’t do something like that.”

            I continue walking away, but I walk faster as a couple of people stare at me exiting the cafeteria. Why were they all giving me looks? I mean it’s normal for people to watch someone leaving the room, but giving me weird looks doesn’t seem right. I decide to shake the thought away anyways, and walk upstairs heading into the empty hallway to only hear my flip-flops. I walk into the senior hallway seeing a girl walking in front of me walk into the bathroom. Damn it, now I can’t throw up.