Chapter 27

NOTE:-------> Play the song when it is mentioned, or whenever you want. =]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                           Prom: Part 2 of 2

“Hey.”

            I look behind me from my chair to see Derek standing behind me looking handsome and well-shaven. I give him a smile, and put my elbow on the top of the chair putting my chin in the palm of my hand.

            “Hey, look at you. You look very handsome.” I say honestly.

            He looks down his tux and wipes his hand down it. “Yeah.” He takes a seat next to me where Aiden was sitting, but went to the dance floor to dance with our friends. “I wanted to let you know that I took your advice.”

            I stare at him for a while trying to figure out what advice he’s talking about. I position myself in my chair so move my elbow off the chair, and cross a leg over the other.

            “What advice?” I ask curiously.

            “When we sat down after taking homecoming pictures, and you told me to find someone who I could really care about, and who would care about me back.”

            “I’m glad to hear that, Derek. You deserve someone who will love and honor you back.”

            I watch as he fettles with his fingers, and stares at his hands. “Who’s the girl?” I ask. He raises his head up to stare in my eyes.

            “Brittany Mullins.”

            I immediately swing my head around looking for Brittany, and then I look back at Derek. “What?”

            I have never liked Brittany, because she always treated me horribly as we grew up. I don’t know what it was with her, but she just didn’t like me. So how she could love, care, and honor Derek makes no sense to me. She seems like she doesn’t have a heart at all.

            “I know you’ve had your troubles with her before, but she does make me feel loved and cared for.”

            He smiles as he talks about her, and I can’t help but to sit there and listen. I won’t discourage his decision.

            “Well, maybe, you should go and dance with her.” I say with a warm smile.

            He chuckles, and gets up from the seat. “See you later, Kadence.”

            “See ya.”

            He walks away joining the crowd of people that are dancing, which in this case I can’t spot out Aiden, but I didn’t feel very good to start dancing yet, so I stayed at the table all alone while everyone went dancing. I take a sip of the punch I got from the table a while ago, and I take a bite of a chocolate chip cookie.

            I feel a gentle pull on my arm, and I drop the cookie on my plate as I get up with whoever is pulling on my arm. I finally realize by the dress that it’s Aiden holding on my hand.

            “Baby, where are we going? I was eating a good cookie.” I say, actually serious about the cookie.

            “You’ll see.” She says back, and we leave the gym going outside where we first kissed.