17: Cornfield Walks

"Hey, Awsten it turned."
Otto exclaims looking straight into the road.
"What turned?"

"The compass."

I quickly look down at the rusty navigation tool thats again sitting in the cupholder, Otto likes it there.
He wasn't joking it points in my direction, to the right, a cornfield.

"Do you think it's in there?" I whisper,

"I don't want to walk through corn."

"It looks like you might have to."

The point continues to point into the cornfield as we continue on the desolate highway at this point we know it's somewhere in there. The start and the end of the world is in a corn field.
Not very exciting. What do we tell Geoff? This is something I haven't tried to think about much I didn't want to.
How do we tell him that we disobeyed his wishes that we are going to save him?

Otto pulls over the Mini Cooper to a small pullout it's slightly hidden behind the massive plants. Geoff is thankfully asleep I think the glitch makes him sleep through half the day almost like how when people become elderly they sleep their last days away. He's like an old man who has dimensia his mind will soon fade away along with his body. Not for long.

We're going to fix you Geoff.

I quickly make up a lie, as Geoff stirs awake noticing we're not moving anymore. "Where are we?"

"We're going to go on a walk. Otto says he's always wanted to walk into a cornfield."

He gives me a glare then goes along with it. I hope this works.
I can't live without Geoff,
I can't.
Otto could probably cope but I don't think I have any other reason to stay.

I hop out of the car and open up the door for Geoff. "Wow Awsten can be a gentleman!" He jokes.
"Thanks." I retort as he struggles out of the car. His legs have getting really weak lately. I don't need to worry about that, we're here.
We're finally here.
We're going to fix Geoff.

"Ready?" Otto questions pulling back a stock of corn. I hate cornfields. Why does the entire world revolve around a nasty cornfield. Blegh.
The giant plants hover over our heads cutting off visabilaty only the compass guiding our way.

It seems like we've been walking for hours this cornfield must be a achers upon achers of land. It goes on for what seems like forever.

The corn has rubbed against all of our skin enough to give us rashes and no one seems to be having a good time whatsoever. Otto has to keep up the act that he's enjoying this adventure though. Geoff's walking through this mess for him.

An hour passes and finally we hit a clearing. It's a large giant dirt patch that's badly fenced off. A small structure about the size of an out-house sits inside of the fence. The fence is barb-wired so we can't count on climbing over.
Geoff starts to look suspicious but still doesn't say a word, he just goes along with what we do next.
We circle the fence finding a hole just big enough for a human to crawl under and one by one slide through.

"What are we doing?" Geoff asks through his teeth nervous about the fact that we're trespassing for no reason.
Well a reason only Otto and I know.

"Exploring." Otto exclaims saving me another lie.

"What if someone blows out our brains?" He looks around stressfully,
"People can be really...territorial."

"We'll be fine," I exhaust unsure, "let's just check this out."

"Alright."

I know he thinks we're lying right now.
No, I know he knows we're lying right now.

But he won't fight it.
He would never fight us.
Physically that is.
He is fighting us pleading us to stop worrying, caring the only thing keeping us going.

I'm sorry Geoff I've said it over and over in my brain I'm selfish and you need to live. If you die I die too.