26: The Hair Color That Matches The Stain On The Floor

I find myself waking up next to Geoff's warm body, his arm extending over my waist. I never thought we would make it this far. I hoped but never believed this would really happen. I told myself it would over and over still thinking it won't. But it did.

Here we are laying side by side in a shabby hotel room. Everything is perfect.
Yet I still feel off.

Not off because of how things turned out, but physically. Probably just catching a cold.

Today we're going to make it to Jawn's house. I hate to say it but I'm excited to see the read headed rat. He's helped us so much.

Plus he has hair dye.

I'm already sick of this ugly brown.

Surprisingly I was the first one awake, usually I expect Otto to be up and ready to go before our eyes are open but not today...now I have a reason to want to be awake for every second of the day, I have my baby.

I look over to Geoff and for the billionth time admire everything I love about him. There's nothing I don't love about him, he's perfect.
His brunette hair that sits wildly along the white pillow, his cute little smile that he always has when he's calmly sleeping. Even the faded spots that we all assume will go away by time. Three of the many things I can say about him by just giving him a glance.

I don't have to worry about loosing those things anymore.

I slowly move his hand off my body and rest it on the warm sheets. I can pack so we can leave once they get up.
I wasn't lying when I said I'm excited to see the red headed rat.
Déjà vu washes through my mind as I walk into the bathroom. There's no steam this time, no Geoff particles floating around. I don't have to lie this time.

I can never change how I was an awful liar. That will haunt me for forever I'm guilty for betraying Geoff.
It was worth it.

I pack up everything I can find throughout the room it's only clothes, it's all we needed...well besides the key and compass.

The key.

When did we need the key? Did we ever use it?

I honestly don't remember having it around my neck after Geoff said he was cured.
I barley remember that either.
Do I have to? Should I? It's all a blur.

Why can't I remember?

Either way it doesn't matter everything is perfect.

This key was probably just a fluke. Better keep it anyways. I've worn it long enough, it's gotten to a point where it feels weird not having it on. I slide it back on my neck and go over colors out of boredom, waiting for the others to wake up. I wouldn't dare let them escape their wondrous dreams, I'm living mine.
Finally living it.

Red, pink, white, blue, green, purple, yellow, pink, orange, blue, red, purple

~~~

"You sure you want to dye your hair pink?"
Jawn confronts raising an eyebrow.
  "Yes I will look fantastic, watch me. If I wanted I could definitely pull off a Coolio hairstyle!"

"Okay yeah sure."
A bright flash blinds me as Jawn snaps a photo.

"Now I'll be able to show you what you destroyed when you hate it."

"Why don't you just support me!"
He just raises his eyebrow for the second time.

I'm going to look great. I hope Otto likes it.

"Hey Jawn, do you think I really have a chance with Otto?"

"I take pictures, I can tell that's a couple that's picture perfect."

"That's the worst thing you've ever said to me."
"And you've said some shit things over the years."

"Yeah okay, Coolio wannabe."

~~~

Of course not everything is perfect.
I still have to go through those awful flashbacks.

That wasn't a terrible remembrance, I did have to re-listen to Jawns cringy conversation, but not heartbreaking.

Thankfully Geoff had woken up by the time that nightmare was over. I wonder if I just look like I'm staring into space whenever I flashback.

Don't care.

"I packed your stuff. We're just waiting for Otto to wake up then we can head out."

No response, instead he pulls me into a kiss.
"I love you." he breathes our heads resting on each other's, we stare into each other's eyes. Beautiful.

Still there is yet no other word to describe him.

"I love you too."

Sadly I break apart from Geoff and stand up from the bed, "That's enough I can't wait in this stuffy room any longer."

What way can I make waking up a hell for Otto? Toothpaste again?

No, not after last night
Instead I just shake him gently until he wakes up.

Finally on the road.

After what seems like hours we make it to Jawn's crappy house.
"He really needs to repaint."
I mutter.

"You say that every time."
Otto points out, "why have you always been out to get Jawn?"
He teases.

I shrug and we all silently walk up to the mustard yellow tiny house.

Something still seems off. More than one thing now.
It's probably nothing something always feels a little off when I'm around Jawn, because it's Jawn.

Otto knocks on the door. Well more like drums, you can tell that he really misses playing that instrument. A nice little beat.

No response.

He knocks again. I like that beat more the second time.

Again, no response.

This time Otto doesn't bother with the beat. Jawn always answers the door. He might be out doing some weird thing with whatever friends he has besides us. I guess he has Travis. Travis is another story.

"I'll call him." Geoff announces.
The numbers on Geoff's keyboard make a weird sound that rings in my ears.

The call doesn't go through.

Jawn always picks up, even if he's in the damn movie theatre, he picks up.

"Doesn't he have a spare key?"
None of us care that we're barging into someone's house, again it's Jawn.
This little maniac can break into the governments files, we can break into his ugly house.

We find the key which is hidden under a tacky dog statue.

Now I'm nervous. Why am I nervous?
It's just Jawn.
Otto unlocks the back door time seems to go slow.

I can't take anymore of these awful feelings.
Everything was supposed to be perfect.
Perfect.

Perfect as it could have possibly gotten.

That feeling lasted for about two days.

On the hardwood floor of the house that I've been in so many times, lived so many good memories, where Jawn habits...is something that makes me stand dead in my tracks.

Jawns body.

On the hardwood floor of where Jawn lives, no, lived is the blood that soaks and blends with Jawns red hair.

Of course I let myself think that everything could be okay.