21: Number Library

Its getting brighter the further we go into the inner side of the wall. The entire scenery looks like it's right out of a sci-fy movie. I guess our lives aren't that far away from sci-fy though.

It seems like we've been walking for days. Walking without a known destination. Just a few words Geoff has to read. Words we can't read. Only Geoff can save himself.

Only Geoff can save himself although I want to.

I want to so bad.

The only thing I've lived for I can't even do. I can't read whatever needs to be read.

The blue brightness is illuminating more. than it has yet, making us squint forward. All of our vision at a minimal. We can only see the blue light now.

Even though we can't see anything we continue to go into the light. Funny thats what everyone has always told us not to do.

And just as soon as the brightness appeared it faded away...thats a good representation of anything affected by the glitch.

By the snap of a finger they're gone.
Not Geoff. He's not going anywhere.

It's like a small cave or is it a tunnel? Either way it's dark until you look up. There's a white almost screen with thousands of numbers that seem to change every second.

I look over to Otto his face awe-struck Geoff still looks glum. There's no doubt or hope left in his eyes now. Do they look sort of pixely right now?  Maybe.

Otto and I know what this is, it's the place thats mocking us. Jawn said there would be a price.

I guess he was wrong.

"No."

Geoff speaks the first word of the night.

"I won't"

His chin is shivering like he's about to cry. No, Geoff don't cry you're about to be normal again. Don't cry.

I bet the sky outside today is grey. It would be feeling the same feelings Geoff probably is right now.

Don't cry.

You're going to be okay. My little baby is going to be okay.

But he cries, he lets a single tear fall down his tired face. It falls to the ground and fades away, Geoff's not going to end up like that tear.

"I won't."

Who knows what emotion my face holds, I can't tell what I'm feeling. "What won't you do? "

Otto questions in denial.

Geoff just shakes his head more tears falling down to the ground now.

"Geoff what won't you do?"

"I won't!"

"I WON'T!"

The words I said a little more than four years ago replay in my head.

'He's family!'
'HE'S FAMILY!'

I didn't want to give up on Geoff then, there's no way I'm going to give up on him now. More importantly I'm not going to let Geoff give up on himself.

The walls seem like they're falling, but in reality they are as still as they can be.

Time seems to be moving slow, in reality it's moving the speed it always does.

So slow.

I find myself by Geoff's side, within seconds his tears stain my shoulders while I pull him into a hug.

I cry with him.

"You don't have to do anything baby."

"You don't have to do anything."

Six words have never hurt so much.