1

Picture is of Amira :)

This story starts in January of 2017.

"Teddy!" My best friend and roommate Stokely yelled as I stepped off of my bus back to Broward County.

"Stoke!" I exclaimed, running into the older boy's arms. He smelled like cigarettes and cologne, which was gross but oddly comforting.

"How was Jordan's?" He asked.

"It was alright." I said with a shrug. I'd gone to my friend Jordan's beach house for a year with a few other people. There was a lot of partying and such. Tiring as all hell. But also absolutely crazy.

"You missed me a lot, didn't you?" He said with a wink. I scoffed.

"Barely. You suck." I laughed.

"I'm sure. Let's get back lil mama."

---

"Your room is exactly the same as it was when you left, a mess, and I stocked up on orange juice right before you got here." He informed me when we walked into the house.

"And you also stocked up on shirtless strangers." I whispered.

"Oh, meet Gazzy and Jahseh." He said, gesturing to the two shirtless guys on the couch.

"Ay cutie!" A man with pink and blonde dreads greeted. "And call me Pump. Gazzy is my government."

"Cool." I said. Another boy, who I assumed was Jahseh, just waved and looked back at the tv. Both guys had very unique styles.

"This is my close friend Amira." He said, pointing to me.

"Cool." Pump said.

"I'm going to go put my stuff back in my room." I said, waving goodbye and carrying my stuff away.

I walked into my room and saw all the posters of eighties bands I'd had hung up in their rightful place. The bed was made hastily (and very messily) and the drawers were left half open with clothes sticking out. Just as I had left it. I grinned and plopped down on my queen-sized bed.

Me and Ski decided to become official roomies when I turned seventeen and was kicked out by my father. I'd known him for a while, though. Since I was thirteen. He was always really sweet. He acted like a brother to me, which was really comforting. We kept a lot of things separate from each other, which was also pretty good. We wouldn't ask a million questions. We'd just focus on hanging out and making small talk. It was nice.

"Ay, lil mama! Can I come in?" Ski asked.

"Yeah!" I replied. He opened the door and handed me a small glass.

"Orange juice and vodka." He said.

"Are you promoting underaged drinking, Stokely?" I asked, taking a long sip from the beverage.

"If you drink, it's better you do it in the house." He said, sounding like a total soccer mom. I giggled, rolling my eyes.

"I'll remember that." I laughed, taking another sip.

"Unpack later. Come meet the guys!" He urged me. I nodded and walked with him back into the living room.

"Amira!" Pump greeted me as I walked in. The other guy just looked at me and looked away.

"Hi, Pump." I greeted politely.

"Oh, is she one of them good hoes?" He whispered to Ski.

"Shut the hell up, nigga." He replied.

"I see the swearing is strong as ever." I laughed.

"Damn right, Teddy." He laughed. "You ain't my mama."

"Well, I got your mama's number." I retorted, whipping out my phone.

"Girl, I know where you live." He said, grabbing my phone. "You meet any fine niggas with Jordan?"

"Only when I look in the mirror." I snorted. "But really that's not what I'm trying to do. Relationships are hard and shit. I just want to go to college."

"You still gonna get that loan?" He asked.

"Can we talk about things your friends actually can discuss." I laughed.

"I know bout pussy!" Pump yelled.

"Nigga, you nasty." Stokely said. Pump flicked his tongue in response.

"Something less... that." I laughed.

"College." Stokely suggested.

"Ain't no nigga from Broward knows 'bout college." Jahseh said, making the other boys laugh. I laughed, not that I got it, but just for the sake of fitting in.

"I like you guys' hair." I said, gesturing to Jahseh and Pump.

"Ay thanks." Pump said, running a hand through his dreads.

"Yeah, thanks." Jahseh mumbled. I'm pretty sure he doesn't like me. Suddenly, my phone rang, saving me from the awkwardness of this conversation.

"I'm going to uh, take that." I said, waving goodbye. I picked up the phone, reading Jordan's caller ID.

"Hey bitch!" He yelled as I picked up the phone.

"Sup thot?" I replied, making him laugh.

"Jenifer is throwing me a welcome home party and wants to know if you'll come. Alex, Marcus, and that fine ass motherfucker Chris will be there." He invited me. I sighed.

"I just got back from a summer of partying!" I whined.

"Oh, boohoo, Mariah (not a fuck up, just a joke.). Come on! This is one of the last parties we go to before college!" He pleaded. I sighed.

"Fine. I'll be at yours at seven." I sighed.

"Yes, my bitch always comes through!" He screams. "Wear something hot. Like, I want you to turn me straight. See you."

I hung up and threw my phone on the bed.

"I hate life!" I whined. I left the room to tell Ski.

"Ski!" I shouted, drawing his attention. He jumped.

"You good?" he asked. I nodded.

"I'm going out. Leave the door unlocked." I said.

"No you ain't!" He yelled. "You been gone for eternity. I thought we was gonna chill and watch some low budget movies."

"You sound like a clingy girlfriend. I promise I won't come in too late. Jordan really wants me to pull through." I explained apologetically.

"Fine. I'll give you the key and leave the latch unlocked. You wake me up and I'll kill a nigga." Ski warned.

"Mhm. One hundred percent. See you."

---

I was finally ready to go. My makeup was pretty good. Standard full face. Wings, lashes, blinding ass highlighter, all that. I wore a black crop top and a matching skirt paired with strappy heels and a black necklace. I looked okay, for me anyways. I left the room and walked into the living room, seeing the guys still on the couch watching tv.

"Ski. Keys." I reminded him.

"Girl. You look like you outta a Wiz Khalifa video." Ski said.

"I'm going to take that as a compliment. Keys."

He tossed me the keys and gave me the same speech as earlier. I gave him a quick hug and left with that.