8

"Look, I get that you probably ain't feeling aight right now, but I just want you to tell me what happened." Jahseh whispered, closing and locking my bedroom door behind him.

"No." I muttered, shaking my head. 

"Why, Amira?" He asked in a hushed tone. 

"Because it's embarrassing. I'm an adult and I can't even handle the real word." I said bitterly.

"What do you mean, though?" He asked. "Because you seemed real pissed."

"He tried to sleep with me and I said no and then he got mad." I grumbled. 

"What's wrong with that? You stood ya ground. That ain't bad." He comforted me. 

"He was pissed at me, though. He was like, making me feel bad and calling me a bitch and whatever. It was really embarrassing."

"He sounds like an asshole. You didn't do anything wrong." He said. "Nothin'."

"Then why do I feel like I did?" He asked. 

"Because that dick can't take rejection. You ain't done nothin' wrong." He said, rubbing my back.

"Alright." I mumbled. "I hate dating."

"Me too." He laughed. "You want me to stay here or let you get to sleep?" 

"You can stay." I said. He nodded and stood up, turning off the light and sitting back down. I threw my shoes that I was still holding on the ground and crawled under my blanket. Jahseh joined me and held me in his arms. 

"You didn't do anything wrong, Amira." He whispered in my ear. I nodded and drifted asleep in his arms yet again, bad dreams far away.

---

"Wake up." Jahseh whispered in my ear. I groaned and stretched a bit before turning to Jahseh, who was still holding me. 

"Why?" I whispered.

"I just ain't want you to think I was skipping out on you like an asshole. I gotta go. Bye, though." He said, pulling away from me. I nodded. 

"Alright." 

---

"Look, I wanted to apologize for yesterday." Stokely said, sitting across from me in the kitchen. 

"But you don't mean it. You got laid and you didn't care that I could've been in serious trouble. In fact, your friend cared more than you did. I thought we were close and I just don't think it's like that anymore." 

"Teddy, I said I'm sorry." He argued. "Look, you've been gone for a while. Of course we aren't buddy buddy again. I missed you tho. I was waitin' on you. I didn't let no niggas up in your room. I- I don't know what you want me to say." 

"I think maybe we need space. I uh, I'll start looking soon." I said. 

"You always pull away from everyone!" He exclaimed. "You got it good here. Friends fight all the time, man!"

"I know, but friends don't ignore other friends when they're in danger." I argued with him. 

"Ion even know what the fuck you're talking about, Teddy." He sighed. "I was laying down with Kelly and she answered my phone. I ain't know it was you."

"Well, it's whatever. I was scared, Stokely. I'm just really happy Jahseh showed up. And for the girl to say I couldn't fucking talk to you? Really? That's not cool."

"Amira, I promise I'll try to help you more n' all that. I'm sorry."

"Alright. I'm sorry for yelling at you." 

"It's cool." He said. "Just, don't leave. I like havin' you here."

"Alright." I agreed quietly.

"I have to go, but if you want you can come with me to work." He said with a shrug. 

----

"What?" I scoffed. We walked into a building that looked somewhat like an apartment building. Stokely led me into a room where there was a tiny recording studio set up. Jahseh and Pump were there.

"Welcome to my humble work place." He said in a posh tone.

"A recording studio? How did you not tell me you were into this shit?" I asked.

"Ion know. I mean, you never asked. I got my own shit goin' on too. I don't randomly travel for nothin'." He shrugged.

"Alright." I shrugged. I mean, it's cool that he's doing his own thing. Go him. "Alright, but are you any good though?"

"I mean, a nigga gon' be biased, but I think we good." He shrugged.

"I ain't think you was gonna tell her." Jahseh said.

"Well, I think we gotta be honest and shit." He shrugged again.

"She finna see me do my shit!" Pump yelled. "ESKETIT!"

"Cool." I laughed.

---

"That was really...different." I said in a cheerful tone.

"Not a fan?" Stokely laughed.

"Not my type of music... but you guys are good." I said with a smile.

"Yeah. You like white people music." He snorted.

"I'm pretty sure that isn't a socially acceptable thing to say." I chuckled.

"You hear this nigga's music? He ain't trynna be socially acceptable." Pump laughed.

"You finna mess around in there?" Stoke asked.

"Hell no." I laughed. "Maybe when I become Selena."

"Ain't she dead?" Stokely asked.

"She's still a fucking icon." I argued. (Honestly though, idgaf Selena was and will always be my queen)

"You weird lil mama." Stokely laughed.

"You call yourself Ski Mask the Slump God. How the hell am I the weird one?"

"Niglet, it's called art." He laughed.

"I ain't never gonna get over that niglet shit." Jahseh laughed.

---

"Can you stay over again tonight?" I asked. Jahseh sighed.

"I got shit too, Amira. I'm sorry." He sighed. I nodded, feeling embarrassed? Why did I think he would waste so much time with me?

"Yeah, I get it." I said, my voice light to hide my disappointment.

"I'll see you though, aight?"

"Yeah. See you."