33

"And she was where?" I heard Jahseh ask Jordan angrily. I opened my eyes slowly and looked around. I was home.

"He's going to kill me." I whispered. I heard quick shuffling and saw Jahseh standing over me. He wrapped his arms around me. Oddly, I couldn't find comfort in it. I just recoiled.

"I was so scared." He whispered.

"Please let go of me." I choked out.

"It's me." He said, pulling away. I looked at him and felt my eyes stinging.

"I know it is." I whispered, my voice raspy. I felt a tears spill out of my eyes and run down my cheeks. He bit his lip.

"Are you okay?" He asked me. I began sobbing and shook my head.

"No." I cried.

"It's okay Mira, tell me what happened." He encouraged me.

"No." I repeated, biting down on my lip hard.

"Baby, talk to me." He whispered. I opened my mouth, unable to muster the words to say.

"I-" I began. I couldn't talk. I could've fucking died. "I'm stupid. I'm stupid, stupid, stupid."

"Hey," Jahseh said, staring into my eyes. "No you aren't."

"I went to my dad's. I didn't want him to get mad at me. I've been trying to keep the peace by visiting him. He- he was there. He tried to fucking kill me." I whispered.

"You're dad?" He asked me.

"No." I whispered.

"You can talk to us." Jordan said. "I can call the cops."

"No!" I yelled. "No."

"Who was it?"

"I don't want to talk about it." I whispered, shaking my head.

"You have to." I heard Stokely speak up. I sat up and stared at him.

"No!" I yelled.

"Teddy, we want to help you." Stokely said.

"No. No, you don't. I- Damien was there waiting for me." I admitted. "And he was going to kill me."

"What'd he do?" Stokely asked angrily.

"Who the fuck is Damien?" Jahseh asked angrily.

"Nigga, calm down." Stokely instructed. "Why was he there?"

"He was talking t-to dad." I said.

"What'd he do, Amira?" Stokely asked again.

"The same thing he did last time." I said numbly. "Well, not the same. Jordan got me. But he was going to. I think he was going to kill me. I-I-"

"Amira, calm down, okay." Stokely instructed, coming closer to me. He embraced me. I didn't pull away. I leaned into his touch. Stokely wrapped his arms around my body and rocked me gently.

"Who the fuck is Damien?" Jahseh asked again, his voice loud and angry.

"No one." I muttered.

"Is he the nigga that-"

"Yes, Jahseh!" I screamed. "Stop yelling at me!"

"Amira, it's okay." Stokely whispered, rocking back and forth. I feel like a child. "Maybe you should go cool off, X."

"No! Where's this fuck ass nigga?" Jahseh yelled.

"Look man, calm down or get the fuck out." Stokely hissed.

"It's my fault." I mumbled. "I was feeling brave. I thought I would just go to dad's and have fucking dinner. I'm so stupid."

"You were just trying to avoid confrontation. You were trying to help. You aren't stupid." Stokely assured me.

"I'm going to go grab a coffee from Dunkin." Jordan said. "I know Amira doesn't really eat regular food when she's stressed, but she'll inhale junk food. I'll be back."

"Get me one too." Stokely said, keeping me in his arms.

I'm not stressed. I'm worthless. I'm pathetic. I'm a fucking pussy. I am everything I never wanted to be. I'm nothing.