4

"Suite 23 at the chateau, had a heart man I'm trynna get it back though." I sang softly, trying to get the tab right on my guitar. It was still late, but I was being quiet and I know Stokely was still up.

"That shit's still too white." I heard him yell. I laughed and rolled my eyes.

"Asshole!" I yelled in a lighthearted manner.

I was mean to him, but it was usually in good fun and very much reciprocated.

"The guy I love has another girl," I tried. "He's probably... nevermind."

"I'm so out of my element." I groaned, putting away my precious baby and turning off my bedside lamp, laying down on the bed.

That night was restless though. It was full of the thoughts I had so often.

"Mom!" I'd cried loudly. "Mama!"

"I love you, babydoll." My dad spoke. "That whore... she did this. I was with you in your room watching tv tonight. Someone came in and hurt mommy. Right?"

"Yes, daddy." I whispered, my voice filled with pain. Even at that age, I knew something was wrong. I knew lying was wrong. I still did it anyways, though.

I'd killed my mother. I killed her. I killed her. I killed her. I saw her perfect face. Heard her beautiful, heavenly voice when she sang to me. Then I saw her mangled, beaten corpse, and the hole in her head that was pouring out an oh-so familiar sticky red substance. Blood.

"I killed her!" I screamed, jolting up, covered in sweat. This happened often. Stokely learned to sleep through it, eventually. Suddenly, the door opened and someone came in and joined me on the bed.

"You okay?" They whispered. I nodded.

"Y-yes." I whispered back, my voice coarse.

"You don't have to lie. Don't say anything, if you don't want to. Just... go to sleep." The male voice whispered. "You didn't hurt anyone."

"Yes I did." I murmured.

"Look, you've been in here. It was a dream. Just go to sleep. I'll stay right here until you do." He said, running a finger through my hair. I rested my head on my pillow and breathed heavily.

"Can you tell me a story?" I whispered.

"When me and Stokely met, we were in this bum ass correction place. I thought it was awful. It fucking sucked." He chuckled softly. "But then we became really good friends. Truth is, he helped me survive that place. He gave me some really awesome ideas and opportunities. Made me realize I wasn't just a fuckin' loser."

"It's good that he helped you." I whispered.

"Yeah. He's cool like that. That story has a happy ending, because I'm here and not back in jail or some shit. Just like, you're right here. You're safe and you're healthy. So get some sleep so you can make another story tomorrow." He whispered, grabbing one of my hands. I nodded and wrapped my fingers around his.

I wanted to ask who it was, but I also didn't. I didn't want to think this person was my friend or anything. Instead I just fell asleep.

----

AW so, really short chapter, but a lot of cuteness between Amira and not so secret mystery boy.