Chapter 5

We head out into the cool air and wander toward the alley by the old florist. The flowers have all been packed away for the night, but the breeze still carries with it the scent of rose petals. The floral note is mixed with grilled burgers from Romeo's in the square.

I briefly glance over my shoulder at it. It brings back memories – the training sim where Cal took the Ardor for me, fighting with the Arrows when they kidnapped Crystal, and my ex, James. I wonder if he's working tonight.

He's tried to speak to me a few times since we broke up – he wants to make things right after kissing Charlie under the influence of the Capax. But, after everything that's happened with Cupid, Cal, and the others, that part of my life feels over now.

"OK, lovebug?" says Cupid as we head toward the neon pink flashing sign reading Love Shack ahead. He snaps me out of my thoughts.

I look up at him and grin.

"Yep, just thinking."

He nods seriously.

"About me? Figures. I am pretty distracting."

I roll my eyes and push him playfully to the side.

"You're so full of yourself," I say.

He laughs, pulling his arm around me as we reach the entrance to the bar. Eric, the guy on the door, greets us– then stands by to let us inside.

We head into the familiar buzz of the Love Shack – trampling over fallen straw from the beach umbrellas and discarded paper flowers as we cross the room. I peer through the crowds- finally spotting Charlie sat on a stool at one of the high tables, illuminated by fuchsia lighting. An attractive blonde girl in a short blue dress sits beside her.

They're both laughing and drinking bright pink cocktails from tall, sugar rimmed glasses.

We walk over.

"Crystal!" says Cupid as we reach them, "My brother was looking for you."

She glances up at him. They share a look that I can't quite read – one that seems to contain shared history, mixed with a joint apprehension regarding each other. Charlie, dressed in a floaty green dress, leans over the table and gives me a hug as I jump up onto the stool.

"Charlie persuaded me to come join this evening," says Crystal somewhat apologetically.

"She's been working late all week," says Charlie – her dark eyes bright with humor. "Even CEOs of paranormal cupid corporations need a night off once in a while."

"I'll toast to that," says Crystal, raising her glass.

Cupid looks down at me. He puts a hand on my shoulder.

"I could toast to not doing work too," he says with a grin, "I'll get us some drinks."

"Get the love potion," says Charlie – pointing at her and Crystal's blindingly pink drinks. Cupid raises an eyebrow at her. She nods, looking pleased with herself. "I made it up myself – I got a job behind the bar for a few weeks on a Matchmaking Assignment. They loved it so much they've kept it on."