Chapter 30

"So, where exactly are we going?" I ask as the early morning traffic races past the car window.

"Los Angeles," says Cal, his eyes fixed ahead.

I wait for him to elaborate. He doesn't.

"As insightful as usual..." I murmur.

Cupid grins, catching my eye through the rear-view mirror – his strong hands guiding the steering wheel.

"The Parcae have an office not too far away from the Cupids Matchmaking Service. I told my brother just to meet us there but..." his gaze slides over to Cal and he pulls a face.

"Well, it's a good job I did come over," says Cal – still looking out of the front window. "I knew you'd be late."

"We're not going to be late, brother. How many times?!"

I leave them to their bickering in the front of the car, leaning my head back against the cool leather of the backseat. I close my eyes, trying to calm my thoughts. My stomach is bubbling with nerves.

I think about Morta and her silver shears covered in gore – the way that she seemed to radiate power. And death. Just thinking of her sends a shiver through my body. The fact that Cupid and Cal seem to be dreading this meeting too makes me feel even worse.

And then there's the worry of what she's going to tell us about the match...

"I still don't really get who these three sisters are," I say as Cupid drives us past the Cupids Matchmaking Service. "What do they do? Why do they have an office?!"

"I don't know how much we should disclose," says Cal. "You're a human."

I frown at the back of his head.

"Remember that time I was almost killed by an Ancient Goddess?" I say.

"Um, yes," he says – not picking up on my point.

"Well, I think it's a little late to be keeping big mythical secrets from me now..."

Cal shrugs rigidly and Cupid catches my eye in the mirror again; his eyes twinkling in the early morning light, before looking back at the road.

"They're basically in charge of people's fate," he says. "Humans know them as three old women, who work at a loom. Each string on the loom represents a life. They add the thread to the loom, measure its length, and cut it when the time comes for the person to, well, die."

I think back to Morta in the gym – youthful, strong, with a kind of gothic, punk look.

"They're not old women, though," I say.

Cupid shakes his head.

"Nope. And that's not how they work either. In the old days they used literal threads to represent life. But now – the world is a lot busier than it used to be. And they completely modernized their business. Their life strings are a lot more metaphorical, now."

"What do you mean?"

"Computer code," says Cal.

"Huh?"

He exhales heavily and I feel a stab of annoyance. It's not my fault no-one properly explains anything...

"Cal! Can you stop being such a..."

"They use strings of computer code to represent each person's life now," he interjects hurriedly before I can insult him. I catch Cupid smirking in the rear-view mirror.

I think back to what Cupid and Cal had said about the Fates doing some IT work for the Cupids Matchmaking Service systems.

"And that has something to do with how you make matches?" I ask.

Cal nods solemnly as Cupid steers the car down the tall tree lined Los Angeles boulevard.

"I told you a bit about our statistical algorithms used to match people when we first met," he says, catching my eye in the mirror for the first time since we set off. "The code written by the Parcae feeds into that – helps us determine and set up the matches."

I think about what Valentine said, back in the gym, about finding me in the Cupids Matchmaking Service Systems. And Morta saying she had something to tell us about the match. The heaviness I've been carrying around since yesterday seems to grow inside my stomach. I can sense a darkness radiating from Cupid too at Cal's words. I'm sure he's thinking about the same thing as me.

Cal seemingly doesn't pick up on the change in the mood.

"You said Morta killed Valentine's cupids with her shears?" he says.

I nod.

"She hasn't had use for those in a while. I wonder..." he tails off, moving his head to look out of the window.

"What?!"

"Yes, brother?!"

Cupid and I speak at the same time. Cal shakes his head – seemingly falling into deep thought. Cupid exhales heavily.

We continue to make our way down the busy roads, the Hollywood sign far in the distance, until the car begins to slow down. I look out of the window at a vast, modern looking office block – the front entirely made out of glass.

In the seat in front I can see Cal's shoulders tense, even through the bomber jacket he's wearing. The air in the car suddenly feels heavier.

My heart thrums hard against my chest.

This must be the place.

Cupid steers us to the side of the rode, and parks his car. He pauses a moment as the engine dies out – his hands still on the wheel. He takes a breath, then he looks over his shoulder at me and grins.

"We're here!"

Author note: Hi guys! I know this is a short one! I realized I should have probably merged this scene with the previous chapter (the perils of the first draft!)

Author note: Hi guys! I know this is a short one! I realized I should have probably merged this scene with the previous chapter (the perils of the first draft!). The next part of the book is titled The Fates and I thought it should start with them going into the office - so that's my reasoning for leaving you here! 

I'm working on the next chapter now - so you may get it today, but if not you'll definitely get it tomorrow! 

Also - I've added a kind of contest / chance for some collaboration between me and you in the next part - so turn the page to the chapter titled 'part 3' to- see what it is! (I really hope some of you will get involved as I think it will be fun!)

Lastly - I realized I skipped out the 'part 2' divider! (again, perils of the first draft!) So I'm adding that in now just after chapter 13 - thought I'd let you know in case you get the notification and get transported 17 chapters into the past and wonder what the hell is going on!! There's a description of the contest I mentioned there as well :)

Speak soon, Lauren x