Chapter 12

Class finishes slightly early and I wait outside school for Cal

Class finishes slightly early and I wait outside school for Cal. Alone, I find my mind focusing on Cupid, and the strange note that now burns through the pocket of my ripped jeans.

Valentine's Day is coming. Stay away from your match.

Who was that girl?

I pull out my phone, my fingers lingering on the keys. I want to text Cupid, tell him about it, check he's OK. But he's still not messaged me. It's been nearly twenty-four hours.

I take a breath. Then hurriedly key in everything OK? and send before I can change my mind. My heart pounds against my chest as I do. After everything we've been through together things should be easy between us, but still I find myself holding back, not wanting him to see that I care.

Even after that kiss last night.

The intensity of it suddenly floods my senses and I feel my heartbeat pounding against my chest. I take a breath, composing myself. Then I shove my phone back into my pocket as more students trickle out into the parking lot.

As I'm leant against the wall James catches sight of me. He jogs over – wearing his soccer kit ready for practice. I groan inwardly. I don't feel like an awkward conversation, I'm guessing I'll have enough of those this evening with Cal.

"Hey, Lila," he says. "How's it going?"

I force a smile.

"Fine, thanks. You?"

He opens his mouth to speak but his words are drowned out by an impatient beep of a horn. We both look to the side. My lip tugs upwards slightly as I see Cal's red Lamborghini, pulling into the lot.

Seriously, he couldn't wait patiently for one minute while I finished my conversation...?

James's blue eyes flash irritably and I detect a stab of jealousy in his expression.

"You're still hanging out with him?" says James. "I thought he'd moved out of town."

I shrug.

"I need to go. Talk later, James," I say.

I walk away – feeling his eyes watch me as I climb into the car. Cal gives a stiff nod in greeting, then puts his foot on the accelerator.

Time to go to the Cupids Matchmaking Service.

***

The Cupids Matchmaking Service is written in elegant calligraphy across the shop front. A sign reading not taking on any new clients at this time hangs from the door handle.

As we approach the building I can see the Minotaur through the large window. He's leant back against the white reception desk– his muscular arms resting on its surface, as he chats to Crystal. She has a serious look on her face as she stands before him in the center of the room.

Cal pushes open the door.

"This is bad, Mino. It's not just cupids from our branch going missing." says Crystal. "There have been reports from the other Matchmaking Service branches too..."

She cuts off at the tinkle of the bell, announcing our arrival. The two of them turn their heads to look at us. Mino grins, flashing his teeth.

"Hello, Lila," he says.

I catch the bottom of a tattoo inked onto his dark skin and creeping up the short sleeve of his black top. It looks like a symbol of a maze. Or a labyrinth.

I shiver slightly as his dark eyes catch mine – my mind taking me back to when we met him in the Sim. Cupid said he was dangerous.

I believe him.

I nod warily in greeting.

Mino's eyes move onto Cal – glinting violently as they look him up and down and I feel Cal tense beside me. Something unspoken seems to pass between the two. As it does, Crystal watches them both warily, and I notice her tighten her grip on the silver bow that is slung over her shoulder.

"Cal, old friend," says Mino, "how lovely to see you." His voice is sincere, but there's something taunting dancing about his irises.

"What are you doing here?"

"Just visiting a mutual friend," he says, his grin widening. He looks lazily over to Crystal.

Cal's eyes narrow and Crystal shakes her head.

"He was just updating us on the police investigation into the murders."

So, Mino is the one she has on the inside of the police department.

She looks at Mino – inviting him to speak. He pushes off from the reception desk and strolls lazily over. He's taller than Cal, and more muscular too. He puts his hand into his pocket and pulls out two unfamiliar gold coins.

"These were found in the dead cupids' possession. As well as the note." He looks pointedly at me, "Unlucky, my friend," he says.

I shrug.

"Cupids are always trying to kill me nowadays," I say. "Nothing new..."

He chuckles, a low laugh that reverberates around the room. A flicker of displeasure crosses Cal's face.

"They tried to kill me once, too," he says. "– lucky for us, cupids are not so tough." His dark eyes slide over to Cal, who I can feel tense beside me.

I glance at him, noting the discomfort etched into the angles of his face, then I look back at the two gold coins in Mino's hand. They are thin, and the metal seems somewhat bent out of place. They look old too, and whatever image that used to sit in the center is now pretty much worn away.

Crystal wanders over and stares down at them too. Something flickers across her face as she does.

"They remind me of something, but I can't think what," she says. "Mean anything to you, Cal?"

Cal looks coldly at Mino, then drops his gaze to his extended hand. He shakes his head. Crystal sighs then smooths the blonde braid hanging over her shoulder.

"You said there were more cupids missing," says Cal – bringing his icy gaze back up to meet Crystal's. "Across the other branches. When we walked in that was what you were saying."

She nods seriously.

"No bodies found, yet. But I think they could be linked. And if they are..." she exhales heavily, "this could be way bigger than we thought."