Chapter 19

I know that only last night I asked Cal to sneak into my room but somehow with Cupid it feels different. More intimate. Cupid takes the keys out of the ignition of the car, cutting out the engine and leaving us in thick silence. Then he turns back to me – his eyes gleaming expectantly in the light of streetlamp outside.

My mind takes me back to our kiss by the fountain – his ragged breaths, his mouth, hot, moving against mine. The air in the car seems to buzz with the memory of it.

As if sensing my trepidation he smiles.

"Hey, I just want to make sure you're safe!" he says – a teasing gleam in his irises. "That's all!"

I roll my eyes and flash him a smile.

"Fine..."

I flick my gaze to the clock on the dashboard. It's half ten. I'm sure dad said something about wanting an early night tonight – he has a meeting in the morning, and his big date with Sarah tomorrow. I think he will have waited up for me though – and I can't just parade Cupid around the house.

"Wait here a minute," I say. "I need to make sure my dad's out of the way."

Cupid nods, holding my gaze longer than necessary; the intensity of it does things to my stomach, making it flip over and melting my insides. I take a deep breath then look away to climb out of the car. I can feel him watching me as I head down the street to my house.

I unlock the door and step inside.

"Lila? Is that you?" Dad calls from upstairs.

I release the breath I was holding - glad he's already out of the way - then roll my eyes at dad's question. Who else would have a key?

"Nope! It's a burglar!" I yell back.

"OK, can you make sure you loot the house quietly. I have an early meeting tomorrow."

I grin.

"Sure thing. Night dad."

I hear movement upstairs, then quiet – permeated only by the rhythmic ticking of the antique clock in the hallway.

I take another deep breath.

This will be the first time Cupid has ever been inside my house. The thought makes me feel both apprehensive and exhilarated at the same time.

What will he think of it? It's nothing like the massive mansion that he lives in, with his pool, and terrace, and four poster bed, and...

Calm down, Lila!

I quickly check my reflection in the mirror in the hallway, running my fingers through my dark hair in an attempt to tame it, and brushing off the remnants of white ash from the arrow that still coats the shoulders of my leather jacket.