Chapter 49

Slowly I look up and catch Cupid's eye. He's tense, his shoulders squared below his black tux jacket. My heart is pounding against my chest.

"He's here," I say.

He gives a half nod, his lips thinned into a hard line. His jaw is strong, clenched, and he rubs his hand against it. Cal and Charlie stride toward us.

I show them all the message and Cal's eyes flash a rose silver in the pink gymnasium lights. His attention seems to catch on something across the room and his slender shoulders tense.

"He's not the only one who's here."

I follow his gaze over my shoulder. There's a guy wearing a ragged looking Matchmaking Service white suit stood to attention by the wall – a quiver full of arrows over his shoulder. His vacant eyes are on us.

"We should have realized he wouldn't come alone," says Cupid – his expression darkening.

Cal nods – a frown tugging down on his lips. Adrenaline surges through my veins. What if there are more of them? Is he planning something?

My phone buzzes again in my hand.

I'm waiting, Lila.

"I need to go."

"We'll follow," says Charlie, hand on her bow.

I look at the zombie cupid by the wall.

"I don't know if that's a good idea..."

"We'll follow," Cupid repeats – his eyes dark.

I hold his gaze a moment; passion burns behind it. It draws me in. But I have to leave.

I turn away from them and start to walk to the door. I feel Charlie, Cupid, and Cal behind me. Suddenly the zombie by the door picks up his bow, flicks an arrow into his quiver, and shoots. My heart jolts. It seems to happen in slow motion. I see it coming right at me. A red and gold ardor.

Something hard slams into my shoulder – and I'm pushed to the side out of its path. A stifled scream hits my ears, somewhat subdued by the sound of music. Ahead another of Valentine's zombies steps forward from the shadows – another Matchmaking Agent – her black hair slicked back with grease.

I spin around.

My heart hammers against my ribs.

Charlie is on her knees, her face creased with pain, the red tipped torture arrow arrow plunged into her shoulder.

"CHARLIE!" I scream.

Cal is on his knees beside her. He pulls it out, watching as it crumbles to ash between his fingers – he looks up his silver eyes cool as ice. Cupid grabs an arrow from his quiver, raises his bow, and fires it into the undead being's heart. The haggard looking guy is hurled back back against the wall and slumps to the floor.